[Air-L] Examples of digital citizenship and (media)literacy guides and projects

Shulman, Stu stu at texifter.com
Tue Jan 9 04:06:50 PST 2024

Some examples from our Service-Learning work on Digital Citizenship
initiated in 2002. Back then, it was about the digital divide, barriers to
access, digital literacy, and anything else that might arise when seniors
and students teamed up to promote the idea of getting people online
to enhance citizenship.

Empowerment through Service-Learning: Teaching Technology to Senior Citizens
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/237603351_Empowerment_through_Service-Learning_Teaching_Technology_to_Senior_Citizens

Digital Citizenship Parameters of the Digital Divide
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/258189948_Digital_Citizenship_Parameters_of_the_Digital_Divide

Beyond the Digital Divide
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/344189731_Beyond_the_Digital_Divide

Generational Differences in Information Technology Use and Political
Involvement
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/220526942_Generational_Differences_in_Information_Technology_Use_and_Political_Involvement

Lost in cyberspace: Barriers to bridging the digital divide in e-politics
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/220438750_Lost_in_cyberspace_Barriers_to_bridging_the_digital_divide_in_e-politics

There are a number of articles and chapters about "eRulemaking" as well
that can all be understood as studies of digital citizenship:
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Stuart-Shulman/research

The platform DiscoverText.com (free for academic researchers) was built
specifically to process hundreds of thousands or even in some cases
millions of public comments on proposed regulations by U.S.
federal government agencies. Over the lifespan of the platform, more than
10 million public comments about a variety of endangered species listings
have been an important though at times controversial wellspring of digital
citizenship where technology was required to find the substantive input
potentially lost in a comment deluge.

Government 2.0: Making Connections Between Citizens, Data and Government
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/262211389_Government_20_Making_Connections_Between_Citizens_Data_and_Government

The Case Against Mass E-mails: Perverse Incentives and Low Quality Public
Participation in U.S. Federal Rulemaking
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/43224684_The_Case_Against_Mass_E-mails_Perverse_Incentives_and_Low_Quality_Public_Participation_in_US_Federal_Rulemaking

Stu

--
Dr. Stuart W. Shulman