[Air-L] Ethics of analyzing reader comments to newspaper articles

Janet Salmons jsalmons at vision2lead.com
Wed Jul 12 13:49:42 PDT 2023

Regina,

You be interested in this article by Wyke Stommel and interview with her:
Research Ethics & Extant Data
On Methodspace: https://bit.ly/3JVTJSZ

All the best,
Janet

Janet Salmons, PhD (She/her/hers)
Research Community Manager, SAGE MethodSpace
Boulder, Colorado USA
jsalmons at vision2lead.com

Now available! Doing Qualitative Research Online, 2nd edition

   Hello dear AOIR colleagues,

   What are the ethical guidelines for analyzing reader comments to
   newspaper articles for newspapers behind a paywall? An example would be
   The New York Times. Reader comments are not accessible unless one is a
   paid subscriber or unless an article is gifted. Is this similar to
   Facebook where groups are not public? For context, I have a couple of
   articles where I want to analyze the reader comments.

   Hoping to get some insight.

   Thanks,

   Regina