[Air-L] Ethics of analyzing reader comments to newspaper articles

Adam Burke adamburkemail at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 15:29:28 PDT 2023

Two key differences stand out:

1. Anyone who buys the newspaper can read the comments. This is unlike a Facebook group where readers need to be individually given permission.
2. There is a multi-century long convention that every element of a newspaper is public commentary which can be analysed and responded to, including for scholarship.

So I would suggest the analogy is not facebook comments but letters to the editor, or public tweets.

I am not a lawyer or ethics board member, and would be interested to see others with more experience in this area weigh in.

Adam Burke