[Air-L] Studies that point out the disparity in quantity of US/Western to nonUS/Wester contexts?

KMV cuuixsilver at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 10:09:29 PDT 2024

Since the start of Russia's hot war in Ukraine, I have seen numerous calls
for more attention to former Soviet colonies, and in particular to revisit
all of Eastern European/Baltic/Russian studies through the work of scholars
writing from outside the imperial core.  Further, there is a call to
"decolonize" our scholarship.

https://europeanstudies.macmillan.yale.edu/event/decolonizing-eastern-europe-baltic-perspective-global-debate-linda-kaljundi

Maksym Erastavi makes this point explicitly in a recent interview on H-Net:
https://networks.h-net.org/group/announcements/20025746/h-ukraine-spotlight-interview-maksym-eristavi-about-his-book-russian

"As much as I am bringing light to the phenomena of Russian colonialism, I
am also fighting against the Western colonial gaze when it comes to the
conversation of what colonialism is. There are more and more new studies
suggesting that colonialism can take many forms. And it is not exclusively
what white Westerners did to people of color in their overseas colonies in
the Global South. The fact that Western colonial empires were like this
does not mean that colonialism elsewhere will have the exact same
characteristics. The work of researchers from the places affected by
Russian colonial violence, like Dr. Botakoz Kassymbekova, Dr. Ewa Thompson
or Mariam Naiem, shows us that we cannot look at the entire phenomenon from
a Western perspective alone. You cannot imagine how many times I was denied
a place in the colonialism discussions abroad with the argument, “You look
white, and you come from Europe — so you don’t belong here.” Let’s set
aside the fact that many Eastern Europeans never enjoyed any of the
privileges that a white Westerner does. Or that many people in the region
represent very complex identities that do not fit Western boxes. I, for
example, have a mixed background of Roma, Asian, and Georgian ancestry but
identify as 100% Ukrainian. Even within the Russian empire, the practice of
colonialism forms a spectrum. This knowledge is not a threat to traditional
colonialism conversations; it only enriches them and helps us to put an end
to any form of colonialism faster.

However, 90% of academic work is done in Western academic institutions. The
best talent from all over the world works there. The largest global media
outlets are based in the West, too. Therefore, voices like mine face huge
institutional bias. There’s a reason why this book was crowdfunded instead
of being released by a mainstream global publisher. I was often told in the
West that this is not a real topic, even by prominent Western establishment
figures who now endorse it. "

Cheers!

Kim De Vries

--