[Air-L] The difficult conversation we don't seem to be having

Nathan Stolero stolero at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 05:17:24 PST 2024

Dear AOIRs,

Like many on this list, including the AOIR president who deserves much
admiration for his ongoing patience, I am both Israeli and Jewish. I am
also a vocal critic of the Israeli government. For years, I have advocated
for an end to the occupation in Gaza and the West Bank. And yet, also for a
Palestinian state.

However, unlike those who may not live the situation in Israel, which Nik
rightly described as incredibly complex, I cannot solely blame the state of
Israel for it. I will not try to convince you that Israel is not committing
genocide in Gaza. We are not. While I believe the international community
can do more to ensure fairness for both Israel and Palestine, I still
support external scrutiny of all actors involved. I strongly oppose the
notion that the situation is "balanced." It's simply not possible to
achieve equilibrium in this context. The suffering of the population in
Gaza is primarily a consequence of a terrorist group gaining control of the
area and the international community turning a blind eye to the situation,
rather than Israel's actions.

Therefore, I must question your approach. You claim Israel deliberately
targets civilians in Gaza and the West Bank, yet you oppose harming
civilians at any cost. Yet, when you call for academic boycotts, your
"missiles" target us, uninvolved citizens. Your actions essentially call
your government to target me, my wife, and my two young daughters. I am not
tenured and may never be. Your call could cost me my job. How is this
different from your opposition to the displacement and hardship faced by
Palestinians? Is the difference simply that, as a "privileged academic," I
have more resources to cope? Does that justify targeting civilians in one
instance but not another?

Let me be clear: academia and government are in constant competition for
power, even beyond Israel. Boycotting and weakening Israeli academia will
likely have minimal impact on the government. In fact, it might be seen as
a victory. We, academics, have the freedom of speech and criticism. It's no
coincidence that strong voices criticizing Israel often come from within.
So, what are you truly trying to achieve? To silence the very criticisms
you hold as valid? That seems counterproductive.

Reading your messages, I identified a few names – individuals who,
unfortunately, already boycotted me in the past. One such instance occurred
during my PhD when, after politely introducing myself, I was questioned
about my nationality and subsequently boycotted solely for being Israeli.
As a scholar, I never judge individuals based on their nationality. In
fact, I've always sought connections with those I wouldn't encounter in my
daily life, from Palestinians to Syrians and Iranians.

If you believe the Israeli government is committing genocide in Gaza, you
are demonstrably wrong. However, I cannot control your beliefs. But please,
target your actions at the government, not me, my family, or uninvolved
citizens. Many of you have expressed horror at discussions exploring when
targeting civilians is "allowed." Don't do what you claim to oppose.

Finally, I offer some "suggestions" regarding previous points:

To those studying the spread of misinformation, consider the sources of
your data. You quote numbers solely provided by Hamas, a recognized
terrorist organization. All UN and even BDS movement data are based on
these figures. You wouldn't publish a paper in an unrated journal using
such data, so why are you so reluctant to be critical of it? Apply your
methods for analyzing disinformation to this data. You mention XXXXX deaths
in Gaza, with 70% women and children. Even without questioning those
numbers, what about the militants killed while fighting, firing rockets at
Israeli civilians, or abusing hostages? Why is this number not presented?
And what about the statistically improbable distribution of casualties? Can
you suggest Israel deliberately targets women and children? What purpose
would that serve?

To those versed in war history, consider this asymmetric war against
terrorism. You mention the demolished university in Gaza. But what about
the rockets fired from there towards Israel? Ignoring these launchers, used
within the university, allows Hamas to target and kill innocent civilians –
something you oppose. Why are there rocket launchers in a university? Were
similar weapons hidden in Gaza's hospitals? Why is Hamas using civilians as
human shields? Consider classic war philosophy dilemmas. You know a rocket
aimed at your civilians will launch shortly, but terrorists forcibly hold
civilians in the launch area. What do you do? Not destroying the launcher
guarantees civilian deaths in Israel. Does destroying it make you
responsible for those forcefully held by Hamas? Of course not.

The situation in this region is incredibly complex. For years, we have
begged the international community for help. Criticism and boycotts do not
help Israelis or Palestinians suffering under Hamas's rule and full
accountability. While, as Marcella wrote, Hamas cannot be officially held
accountable for anything under international law, it doesn't absolve
Israel. However, the international community also bears responsibility for
ignoring Hamas's terrorism and failing to protect both Israelis and
Palestinians. But rest assured, I will never call for a boycott of your
academic institutions because I simply don't believe in it.

May we all find peace and prosperity.

Sincerely,

Nathan