[Air-L] The difficult conversation we don't seem to be having

Coursaris, Constantinos coursari at msu.edu
Mon Jan 22 21:48:23 PST 2024

Dear all,

As the nature of the discourse has changed over the ~60 emails distributed so far today, I’m left wondering if this is the right medium through which to have this discussion (especially as some views will, realistically and understandably, not converge).

The AoIR statement of Inclusivity* would suggest that some of the actions proposed in this thread are in contradiction (noting the reference to nationality).
The AoIR description of the mailing list** suggests it may not be the appropriate medium for this discussion, unless this is considered ‘information dissemination’ which has typically included CfPs, conference announcements, research news, etc..

Perhaps it might instead be more appropriate to have any related suggestion/proposal be submitted directly to the AoIR Executive Committee for consideration and potential action.

My best,
Constantinos
=====
https://aoir.org/diversity-and-inclusivity/
*AoIR Statement of Inclusivity
The Association of Internet Researchers is committed to the inclusion and recognition of all members regardless of race, age, culture, ability, ethnicity or nationality, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, marital status, religious affiliation, and socioeconomic status. We affirm the worth and dignity of every member of the Association.

**Currently, the list has over 5000 subscribers and provides an excellent environment in which to disseminate information, discuss key research concerns, and network with similarly-minded scholars.
=====