[Air-L] EVENT: Joy and ethics in making AI art, or how I found the universe in my data self

Esperanza Miyake esperanza.miyake at strath.ac.uk
Thu Jan 18 05:08:32 PST 2024

**Apologies for cross-posting​*

Joy and ethics in making AI art, or how I found the universe in my data self

25 January, 2024 (17.30-19.00 GMT - hybrid event)

Scottish Universities Insight Institute, Collins Building 22 Richmond St Glasgow G1 1XQ

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/joy-and-ethics-in-making-ai-art-tickets-798762509167

Join us for an evening with Tim Murray-Browne<https://timmb.com/>, an artist, engineer and coder whose work connects AI, dance and generative audio-visuals.

Tim will take us through his recent chronological journey of projects involving AI, including translating dance into sound, training an AI on his entire life archive of photos, finding beauty by amplifying the glitches and using the intuitions of his body as a means to navigate the overwhelmingly infinite possibilities. We will gain insight into the various ethical hurdles Tim hit along the way, and how his artistic practice helped him through these challenges. Tim will also discuss some of his more recent visual work, involving how glitches can reveal something about the nature of (AI) perception itself, and leaning into the glitches to get something new rather than something derivative.

Drinks and refreshments will be provided.

This event is part of a knowledge exchange project funded by the Scottish Universities Insight Institute (SUII)<https://www.scottishinsight.ac.uk/> and Scotland Europa<https://www.scotlandeuropa.com/>. More information about the project can be found on the SUII website: Valuing Public Data for Social, Economic and Environmental Development in Scotland and the EU<https://www.scottishinsight.ac.uk/Programmes/ScotlandinEurope/PublicSectorData.aspx>.

Hope to see you all there!

Esperanza

------

Dr. Esperanza Miyake

Chancellor's Fellow and Senior Lecturer in Journalism, Media and Communication

Chair of the Humanities Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Committee

Faculty (HaSS) Rep for the University Racial Equality and Anti-Racism Steering Group

University of Strathclyde | Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences | Dept. of Humanities

Full profile<https://www.strath.ac.uk/staff/miyakeesperanzadr/>

Recent publications:

  *   New book! (2023) Digital Disengagement: COVID-19, Digital Justice and the Politics of Refusal<https://bristoluniversitypressdigital.com/display/book/9781529234671/9781529234671.xml> (w/A Kuntsman & S Martin) Bristol: Bristol UP.
  *   (2023) Final Report of the Independent Expert Group for the Unlocking the Value of Data Programme<https://www.gov.scot/binaries/content/documents/govscot/publications/independent-report/2023/08/final-report-independent-expert-group-scottish-government-unlocking-value-data/documents/final-report-independent-expert-group-unlocking-value-data-programme-august-2023/final-report-independent-expert-group-unlocking-value-data-programme-august-2023/govscot%3Adocument/final-report-independent-expert-group-unlocking-value-data-programme-august-2023.pdf> (Scottish Government, w/ Daly et al.)
  *   (2023) I am a virtual girl from Tokyo: Virtual influencers, digital-orientalism and the (Im)materiality of race and gender<https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/14695405221117195> Journal of Consumer Culture, 23(1): 209–228
  *   ​(2022) ​Paradoxes of Digital Disengagement: In Search of the Opt-Out Button <https://doi.org/10.16997/book61> (w/A Kuntsman). London: University of Westminster Press.

Current project:

  *   Valuing Public Sector Data in Scotland and Europe: data governance for economic, environmental and social development<https://www.scottishinsight.ac.uk/Programmes/ScotlandinEurope/PublicSectorData.aspx> (funded by Scottish Universities Insight Institute (SUII) and Scotland Europa)