[Air-L] Methodology recommendations for platform analysis

Luc Cousineau luc.cousineau at uwaterloo.ca
Sun Jan 7 12:54:37 PST 2024

Hi Jacob,

Some colleagues and I have done some work on the concept of Appnography that you might find interesting as it speaks to some of the issues that you bring up here. The work was specific to dating apps, but could be useful.

Cousineau, L. S., Oakes, H., & Johnson, C. W. (2019). Appnography: Modifying ethnography for app-based culture. In D. C. Parry, C. W. Johnson, & S. Fullagar (Eds.), Digital dilemmas: Transforming gender identities and power relations in everyday life (pp. 95-117). Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
---
Johnson, C. W., Cousineau, L. S., Parry, D. C., & Felice, E. (2023). Methodology in Motion: Reflections on Using Appnography. Qualitative Inquiry, 29(10), 1052-1063. https://doi.org/10.1177/10778004231163166

Abstract: This article reflects upon and provides updates to appnography as a methodology for the study of dating digital app culture. Based on empirical fieldwork and in-depth nterviews with members of the research team, we re-assess and re-map appnography's original five methodological considerations-digital versus "real," profiles, space, place, and community, contextualization, and temporality-along two axes: design considerations and user considerations. We also add a third methodological axis, researcher considerations, to the methodological features of appnography and expound on its related concerns of participant recruitment and technological familiarity. With this reformulation, we believe appnography offers an even more robust means of bridging the ethnographic and the technological in qualitative research on apps and their use.

Luc S. Cousineau, PhD
School of Health and Human Performance
Dalhousie University
Check out my newest publications -
Employee Surveillance Technologies: Prevalence, Classification, and Invasiveness  - Surveillance & Society
"Are there any other male friendly subs on here?"- online men's rights groups as simultaneous communities of care and hate, inclusion and exclusion - Leisure/Loisir