[Air-L] Methodology recommendations for platform analysis

André Brock andre.brock at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 11:30:39 PST 2024

I guess my question is: what have you tried?  There’s tons of research on
qualitative internet research methods over the last 20 years.

Do you know the work of Christine Hine, Annette Markham, Nancy Baym, Jean
Burgess, or Stephanie Duguay, Tom Boellstoerff, Mary Gray, Apryl Williams, o
r Jenny Davis?

There are a number of media and industry studies approaches to digital
space, artifacts, and communities as well: AJ Christian, Siva
Vaidhyanathan, Charlton McIlwain, and many more.

I'm sure the list will have more suggestions, but hopefully this will help.

A.

I'd love to connect. Click https://cal.com/docdre/30min to schedule a
meeting with me!

André Brock
Associate Professor
Department of Literature, Media, and Communication
Georgia Institute of Technology
Twitter: @DocDre

Out now: Distributed Blackness: African American Cybercultures (2020, NYU
Press)

Winner, 2021 AoIR/Nancy Baym Book Award in Internet Studies

Winner, 2021 Harry Shaw and Katrina Hazzard-Donald Award for Outstanding
Work in African-American Popular Culture Studies