[Air-L] TOMORROW: Rob Gorwa talk on Platform Regulation and Content Moderation at Manchester Metrpolitan

Sophie Helen Bishop sophiehelenbishop at gmail.com
Thu Feb 29 06:35:03 PST 2024

Please sign up via eventbrite as there are limited tickets left!

Date: 1st March
Time: 16:00
Place: Manchester Metropolitan University
Eventbrite:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/disc-public-talk-with-robert-gorwa-tickets-848164672367

*Robert Gorwa <https://wzb.eu/en/persons/robert-gorwa-0> (WBZ Berlin Social
Science Centre)*

*The Politics of Platform Regulation: How Governments Shape Online Content
Moderation*

As digital platforms have become more integral to not just how we live,
but also to how we do politics, the rules governing online expression,
behaviour, and interaction created by large multinational technology firms
--- popularly termed ‘content moderation,’ ‘platform governance,’ or
‘trust and safety’ --- have increasingly become the target of government
regulatory efforts seeking to shape them. In this talk, Robert Gorwa
provides a summary of his first book, forthcoming with Oxford University
Press, which provides a conceptual and empirical analysis of this
important and emerging tech policy terrain of ‘platform regulation.’ How,
why, and where exactly is it happening? Why now? And how do we best
understand the vast array of strategies being deployed across
jurisdictions to tackle this issue?

--
Dr Sophie Bishop
www.sophiehelenbishop.com | @sophiehbishop