[Air-L] Book Release: Israeli Masculinity, Sex Work, and Consumerism

yeela lahav-raz aayeela at gmail.com
Thu Feb 29 05:28:11 PST 2024

[Sorry for cross-posting]

Dear all,
I trust this email finds you well. I want to share the release of my new
book "Israeli Masculinity, Sex Work, and Consumerism," as part of
Routledge's Focus on Global Gender and Sexuality series, in case it is of
interest:

https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/mono/10.4324/9781003128670/israeli-masculinity-sex-work-consumerism-yeela-lahav-raz?context=ubx&refId=8b8f33b5-b8f4-4217-8312-7f45c2f4d94b

Based on digital ethnography spanning three distinct time periods and on
various Israeli-based digital platforms, this book delves into the impact
of digitalization on the economics of demand. Furthermore, the book
underscores the intricate interplay between masculine heteronormative
sexual scripts and the prevailing cultural repertoires of Israeli society.
By revealing the inner world of Israeli sex work consumers and their use of
digital technologies, the book illustrates how profound sentiments of
camaraderie, homosociality, and brotherhood give rise to thriving online
communities of sex consumers who function as a platform on which power
relations between men themselves are publicly displayed and are constantly
challenged.

Finally, to address the elephant in the room, I acknowledge the current
polarization of opinions on Israel. I trust that your position on the
Israeli-Palestinian conflict will not hinder your interest in reading the
book. If this sentence is redundant, ignore it. Furthermore, despite being
written prior to the war, I am confident that the book can illuminate
aspects of Israeli masculinity that have been particularly prevalent in our
lives in recent months.

Best regards,
Yeela
--

*Yeela Lahav-Raz*, PhD*| **Senior Lecturer* (Assistant Prof.)*| *

Department* of Sociology & Anthropology**| The Ben-Gurion University of the
Negev*

*Head of the B.A Behavioral Sciences Program*

*Recently published*: Lahav-Raz, Y. (2024). *Israeli Masculinity, Sex Work,
and Consumerism: Heteronormativity and Sexual Repertoires*. Global Gender
and Sexuality Series: Routledge.

E: lahavraz at bgu.ac.il <lahavraz at post.bgu.ac.il>