[Air-L] Seeking researchers of online communities for interview study

Liz Dowthwaite Liz.Dowthwaite at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Feb 14 09:11:31 PST 2024

Have you conducted research with online communities? If so, would you be willing for us to interview you to ask you about your experiences?

We are a group of University of Nottingham researchers in the School of Computer Science, Horizon Digital Economy Research, and we have just started a one-year project in partnership with the Internet Society which we hope you may be interested in - EFRESH: Effective, Responsible and Safe Research on Online Communities. EFRESH will explore challenges related to researching groups online. We are particularly interested in research involving groups that are difficult to access (e.g. choose to communicate in private online spaces) and research involving online communities that may react with hostility to being the focus of research attention. We are particularly interested in identifying best practices for research in this area that can be shared with others. Through our research we plan to produce guidance for researchers and research institutions to address these (and other) challenges.

You can find more information about our project here<https://www.horizon.ac.uk/effective-responsible-and-safe-research-on-online-communities-efresh-an-introduction/>. Towards the end of the study, we also plan to run some workshops to discuss our findings and co create guidance relevant to individual researchers, research groups and research institutions. This guidance will identify practices to promote research on online communities that is effective, responsible, and safe.

Please get in touch if you would like to take part in an interview, or find out more information and give us your contact details and consent here<https://forms.office.com/pages/responsepage.aspx?id=7qe9Z4D970GskTWEGCkKHp2EasU_-spHkqt41lPTetxUOTIwOUdWSkk1NjRZSVc0TDIyQVBGWjVVRi4u>.

Many thanks,

Liz
Dr Liz Dowthwaite
Senior Research Fellow, Horizon Digital Economy Research Institute<http://horizon.ac.uk/>, Trustworthy Autonomous Systems Hub<https://tas.ac.uk/>, Responsible AI UK<https://www.rai.ac.uk/>
Secretary, IEEE P7003 Algorithmic Bias Working Group<http://sites.ieee.org/sagroups-7003/>
Section Editor, Citizen Science: Theory and Practice<https://theoryandpractice.citizenscienceassociation.org/>
University of Nottingham, Innovation Park, Triumph Road, Nottingham, NG7 2TU
Twitter: @Lima_India_Zulu<https://twitter.com/Lima_India_Zulu>
BlueSky: lizdowthwaite.bsky.social<https://bsky.app/profile/lizdowthwaite.bsky.social>
Blog: dowthwaite.wordpress.com<http://www.dowthwaite.wordpress.com/>

This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete the email and attachment. Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored where permitted by law.