[Air-L] Attention, Perception and Machine Vision: Videos from King's events

Joanna Zylinska jo.zylinska at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 03:29:36 PST 2024

   Dear All,

   I wanted to let you know that recordings from two recent events
   organised by the Centre for Attention Studies (part of the Digital
   Futures Institute at King’s College London) are now available online:

   ATTENTION!

   This is a playlist of 13 lightning talks on the topic of attention, by
   King’s scholars from different disciplines. Presented from a variety of
   disciplines – from literature, philosophy, education and digital
   humanities through to psychology, neuroscience, politics and business –
   the talks are an attempt to map the new field of Attention Studies.
   This is a field where academic research meets a wider socio-ethical
   obligation to figure out what it means to live well, with and through
   technology. You can watch them all here:

   [1]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLU0ka4iPReX6BKqCwKn3VJhwjxy2I
   XgzN

   How Humans and Machines See the World

   The event explored the following questions: Can machines see? What does
   it mean for humans to endow machines with the capacity for seeing? But
   do we actually understand how humans see the world? And is there even a
   ‘we’ that does the seeing? The speakers included: Paula Gortázar
   (Westminster), Daniel Chávez Heras (King’s), Leonardo Impett
   (Cambridge) and Joanna Zylinska (King’s). Watch the recording:

   [2]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CtwWBqE_Aw&ab_channel=King%27sDigit
   alFuturesInstitute

   Best,

   Joanna

--
Joanna Zylinska
Professor of Media Philosophy + Critical Digital Practice

NEW BOOK: [4]The Perception Machine: Our Photographic Future between the Eye and
 AI (MIT Press, open access)

[5]Website
[6]IG research notebook