[Air-L] Workshop Announcement "Perspectives on Hybrid Human–AI Systems. Bringing Together Interdisciplinary Approaches"

Libuše Hannah Vepřek libuse.veprek at uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Feb 9 00:49:48 PST 2024

********************************
Apologies for cross-posting
********************************

Dear colleagues and list members,

We would like to draw your attention to the interdisciplinary workshop
"Perspectives on Hybrid Human-AI Systems. Bringing Together
Interdisciplinary Approaches" which will take place from April 10 to 12,
2024, in Munich, Germany.

The workshop will bring together researchers, experts, and individuals
interested in hybrid human-AI systems to discuss how different
disciplines understand and address these hybrid systems, and how these
individual perspectives can contribute to an interdisciplinary
understanding of the collaboration between humans and machines. The full
abstract is available below.

We look forward to presentations from cultural and social anthropology,
sociology, philosophy and ethics, cognitive science, artificial
intelligence, computer science, and media informatics by (in
alphabetical order)

Christoph Bareither (University of Tübingen)
Anne Dippel (University of Jena)
Steven Dorrestijn (Saxion University of Applied Sciences)
Orit Halpern (TU Dresden)
Catholijn Jonker (TU Delft)
Gertraud Koch (University of Hamburg)
Pietro Michelucci (Human Computation Institute)
Rainer Mühlhoff (University of Osnabrück)
Albrecht Schmidt (LMU Munich)
Roanne van Voorst (University of Amsterdam)

The complete program, including the Lightning Talk panels, can be found
at
https://www.ekwee.uni-muenchen.de/vkee_download/hhais-workshop_program_short.pdf
For further information visit:
https://www.ekwee.uni-muenchen.de/aktuelles/veranstaltungen/hybrid-human_ai-systems/index.html.

Participation is free of charge. Registrations are accepted until *March
15, 2024*, by email at hhais-workshop at ekwee.uni-muenchen.de.
Questions can be directed to Libuše Vepřek: libuse.veprek at uni-tuebingen.de

Note: Due to a limited number of places and for sustainability reasons,
we ask for a binding registration with a 30 Euro deposit, which will be
refunded after the conference. Our experience has shown that often
participants register but then do not show up, leading to a significant
over-preparation of food and other resources that ultimately go to
waste. With this practice, we aim to avoid this as much as possible. If
registered guests do not show up, the money will be donated to a social
or cultural project.

Johannes Moser, Leonie Thal und Libuše Hannah Vepřek

    Perspectives on Hybrid Human-AI Systems. Bringing Together
    Interdisciplinary Approaches

  Johannes Moser,  Libuše Hannah Vepřek, and Leonie Thal

The research fields of /Human Computation/ and /Hybrid Intelligence/
investigate how the capabilities of humans and computers can be combined
in novel ways, thereby overcoming the limitations of today’s strictly
computational /Artificial Intelligence/ systems, and yielding the
ability to address problems that neither can solve on their own.
Such hybrid human–AI systems are of interest to several scientific
disciplines, including computer science, philosophy, sociology, design,
and cultural anthropology, as they not only enable new computational and
engineering capabilities while posing interesting new problems on their
own but also influence societies on a structural level and our everyday
life at the micro level. They elicit questions on the human–AI relations
in these hybrid systems that are ethical, judicial, social, cultural,
logical, algorithmic, practical, and material in nature.
This workshop brings together scholars, experts, and interested parties
with an interest in hybrid human–AI systems to learn how different
disciplines understand and approach these systems. The aim is to discuss
how each discipline can contribute to an interdisciplinary understanding
of the collaboration of humans and machines in such hybrid systems. With
this workshop, we want to spark new conversations between different
disciplines, addressing, among others, the following questions:

  * How does human computation and hybrid intelligence relate to
    pursuits of and discourses on /Artificial General Intelligence/ /
    /Strong AI/?
  * How can we grasp human-technology and societal relations unfolding
    within these systems?
  * How is trust established and (re)negotiated in such systems?
  * What forms of ethics arise in and with hybrid human-AI systems?
  * What are the unique perspectives of the different disciplines, and
    how can these inform one another?
  * How can we arrive at understandings that consider the disciplines’
    different approaches and modes of reasoning?
  * How can we work together on these topics?

The workshop is organized as part of the research project “Playing
/in the Loop/: New Human-Software Relations in Human Computation Systems
and their Impacts on the Spheres of Everyday Life” funded by the German
Research Foundation. The Fritz Thyssen Foundation, the Carl Friedrich
von Siemens Foundation, and the Münchner Vereinigung für Volkskunde e.V.
provide additional funding for the workshop.

April 10–12, 2024
Carl Friedrich von Siemens Foundation
Südliches Schloßrondell 23
80638 Munich, Germany.

--

Libuše Hannah Vepřek, M.A., M.Sc.
Pronomen / Pronouns: sie, ihr / she, her

Ludwig-Uhland-Institut für Empirische Kulturwissenschaft
Universität Tübingen
Burgsteige 11
72070 Tübingen