[Air-L] CFP: "Exploring Collaborative Interpretive Practice”

James A Hodges james.hodges at rutgers.edu
Mon Aug 7 12:29:47 PDT 2023

*Call for Participation*

*“Exploring Collaborative Interpretive Practice”*

A workshop co-located with ASIS&T 2023, Saturday, 28 October (8:00 AM -
12:00 PM BST), 2023, London, UK

Collaboration on the interpretation and analysis of texts, images,
artifacts, qualitative data, and other recorded information is fundamental
to knowledge production in many disciplines. However, collaborators may
have different goals, work routines, research paradigms and methodologies,
background knowledge, and more. In this workshop, we aim to engage in
collective exploration of how collaborative interpretation happens and
brainstorm together on ways to develop knowledge infrastructures to support
it. Each of us brings our own perspective to interpretation, which shapes
our work in various ways. How do we ensure that everyone has a voice and is
able to take an active part in the research?

In this workshop, we will consider how collaborative interpretation unfolds
in different settings and within the research process, and ask questions
including:

   - Who is performing interpretation?
   - What is being interpreted?
   - What are the goals of interpretation?
   - How is the interpretation being performed?
   - What are the analytical lenses?
   - Can different actors incorporate the fruits of collaboration into
   their own research to forward different goals?

We may also work with and interpret a range of artifacts. How can we
interact with these artifacts, and how does their nature (material,
symbolic, institutional) affect our interpretation? What can we learn about
an artifact based on other resources?

This workshop is an opportunity for researchers and practitioners in
digital humanities, cultural heritage, and information science, including
librarians, archivists, curators, and teachers, to share experiences and
ideas about collaborative interpretation, engage in activities to stimulate
our thinking, and emerge with takeaways we can incorporate into our own
research. We may also form new collaborative relationships.

*WAYS TO PARTICIPATE:*

*Register for the workshop here: **https://www.asist.org/am23/*
<https://www.asist.org/am23/>

*Submit a challenge paper or poster **here*
<https://www.conftool.org/asist2023/> (please use the AM23 Proposal Template
<https://growthzonesitesprod.azureedge.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/946/Template-Instructions-2023-final.docx>
):

   - *Challenge papers (4 pages max. not including references): *Introduce
   an important challenge in collaborative interpretation. Present examples
   from your own or others’ work, points to consider, potential solutions, etc.
   - *Posters (2 pages max. not including references): *Introduce research
   you are doing or would like to do involving collaborative interpretation.
   Preliminary results are not required; raise ideas you would like to receive
   feedback on!

*Participate in pre-workshop interpretive activities (Aug. 15 - Sept. 14,
2023):*

Collaborate with others to explore the Svoboda diaries and engage in
collaborative interpretation. Following these activities, workshop
scholarships will be awarded.

Access here: *https://github.com/svobodadiaries/collab-interpret/discussions/1
<https://github.com/svobodadiaries/collab-interpret/discussions/1>*

*IMPORTANT DATES*

*Paper and Poster Deadlines*

Submissions due: August 15, 2023

Notifications: September 15, 2023

*Pre-workshop Collaborative Interpretation Activity*

Participation period: August 15, 2023 - September 14, 2023

Workshop scholarships announced: October 1, 2023

*AWARDS*

*Best paper award:* $200. Sponsored by SIG Information Needs, Seeking, and
Use (SIG USE)

*Best poster award:* $200. Sponsored by SIG Arts & Humanities (SIG AH)

*Participation Scholarships:* Free registration for 4 workshop attendees
based on pre-workshop participation!

For questions, please contact the workshop co-organizers:

Annie T. Chen

University of Washington | atchen at uw.edu

Camille Lyans Cole

Illinois State University | clcole5 at ilstu.edu

Alexandra Chassanoff

University of North Carolina Chapel Hill | achass at unc.edu

Rongqian Ma

Indiana University Bloomington | rm56 at iu.edu

Isto Huvila

Uppsala University | isto.huvila at abm.uu.se

Zack Lischer-Katz

University of Arizona | zlkatz at arizona.edu

Maja Krtalić

Victoria University of Wellington | maja.krtalic at vuw.ac.nz

--
*JAMES A. HODGES, PH.D. *(he/him/his)
Assistant Professor

Senior Book Reviews Editor
Information & Culture <https://infoculturejournal.org/>
Member, Committee on Publication Ethics <https://publicationethics.org/>
 (COPE)

Junior Fellow, Rare Book School
Mellon Society of Fellows in Critical Bibliography
<https://rarebookschool.org/admissions-awards/fellowships/sofcb/>