[Air-L] fyi: Zoom claims right to use your sessions to train AI

Richard Forno rick at rickf.org
Mon Aug 7 04:47:17 PDT 2023

Hi folks -

As I posted to rickf at indieweb.social <mailto:rickf at indieweb.social> yesterday, for those who may be using Zoom for teaching, research, external collaborations and/or personal meetings, please note that their latest terms of service (7/27/23) sections 10.1 - 10.4 seems to give them the right to use the audio/video/shared content from your Zoom sessions to train AI models.[1] I'm not aware of any opt-out to this collection.   This item began surfacing over the weekend so more coverage in the coming days is likely as the tech & privacy communities digest the potential legal, medical, educational, and IP ramifications of this practice.

[1] https://explore.zoom.us/en/terms/

Just providing a heads-up for AoIRistas concerned with how their (potentially sensitive) data, voice, and/or likeness - or those of their friends, family, students, or collaborators - may be used by a third party.  IIRC BlueSky claims something similar with content posted on that platform, but imo that's not as far-reaching or potentially invasive as this move by Zoom.

<sigh> One wonders if there are any internet ethics folks employed & empowered @ these places anymore, but I'm not optimistic. :/

-- rick

--
Dr. Richard Forno