[Air-L] Berlin Talk Invitation: Authoritarian Populism and the Internet

Brooke,SJ S.J.Brooke at lse.ac.uk
Wed Jun 8 04:38:47 PDT 2022

Dear AoIR Members,

I wanted to circulate the invite to Dr Gillian Bolsover<https://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/people/profiles/gillian-bolsover/>’s exciting talk Authoritarian Populism and the Internet<https://www.hertie-school.org/en/events/event-detail/event/authoritarian-populism-and-the-internet-exploring-and-explaining-this-global-political-trend-with-cross-national-comparative-research>: Exploring and explaining this global political trend with cross-national comparative research.

The event is public, meaning you do not require an institutional or University affiliation in order to attend.  Please register through the event page.<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScSeSNdgC0A51I3Pq2bD0_9wXdAqIfVFDy0-s7-AQYIyrOJ4A/viewform>

This is an in-person (on-site) event located at The Hertie School, Friedrichstraße 180 (Room 2.61, 2nd Floor) on Wednesday, 15th of June 2022, 16:00 - 17:30 (CEST). The talk includes a Q&A section and an opportunity for informal drinks and discussions.

This presentation will survey Dr Bolsover’s work, introducing her framework for understanding worldwide trends in (digitally-mediated) politics, combining theories of authoritarian populism and populist authoritarianism. She will cover:

  1.  Trump in the US and Xi in China and the similarities in their respective social media propaganda campaigns
  2.  How state and political entities leverage social media structures and affordances
  3.  The nature of social media ecosystems within authoritarian populist politics in democratic states.
  4.  A cross-national comparison of the 2019 Indian General Election and the 2020 anti-COVID and BLM movements in the US.

I would appreciate it if you could circulate the talk amongst your networks (including fellow students!).

Please get in touch if you have any questions. I hope to see you there!

Best wishes,
Sian

Dr. Siân Brooke (she/her<https://www.lse.ac.uk/economics/about-us/equity-diversity-and-inclusion>)

Fellow in Computational Social Science,