[Air-L] private sector access to public sector data in Scotland - evidence and CfP

Angela Daly angelacdaly at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 03:44:48 PDT 2022

 Hi everyone,

I am the chair of a new independent expert group advising the Scottish
Government on whether and how the private sector can access public sector
(personal) datasets in Scotland. We are particularly interested in whether
and how this can be done in ways which lead to genuine public benefit and
engender public trust. Personally I'm also interested in public
participatory approaches to this issue.

The first meeting of the group was at the end of March and there will be
material online soon about the group's make-up and what we discussed in the
first meeting.
For now, here's an official tweet:
https://twitter.com/scotgoveconomy/status/1509217303887503360

Anyway, I wanted to let you all know about this and that I am open to
hearing any views, and in particular, receiving any evidence e.g. based on
your research on this topic, at any point over the IEG's lifetime. I hope
this can help you to produce 'impact' from your work and actually influence
what is happening here in Scotland. If you want to talk more, please email
me!

There are a few academics involved and some ex/part time academics within
the Scottish Government - to that end we have a special track as part of
Data for Policy 2022 (hybrid conference) on the IEG's theme - I would
invite any of you researching on this topic to submit something and
circulate to your networks:
https://dataforpolicy.org/special-track-3-how-public-is-the-personal-for-scottish-peoples-data-citizens-and-trust-in-private-sector-use-of-government-held-personal-data/

Thanks,
Angela

(Professor of Law and Technology, University of Dundee -
adaly001 at dundee.ac.uk)