[Air-L] New paper: Advertising as Governance in Media, Culture and Society

Sophie Helen Bishop sophiehelenbishop at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 03:11:41 PDT 2024

Hi everyone,

As people are currently distributed across platforms, I wanted to ensure
that noone would miss the following extremely important and essential
announcement:

Daniel Joseph and I's new paper "Advertising as governance: The digital
commodity audience and platform advertising dependency" is out open access
in Media, Culture and Society:
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/01634437241237935

We look at three kinds of channels on YouTube: the Community Commentariat
(aka high profile creators like Hank Green), growth hackers and official
YouTube communications. We attend to the way these individuals discuss the
imagined role of advertising on YouTube, and how their perception of
advertising demands and preferences shapes their cultural production.

Please reach out if you are interested in these topics!

Best wishes

Sophie

--
Dr Sophie Bishop