[Air-L] Call for contributions: Mapping Data, Tools and Methods of Internet Governance (TIGre project)

Francesca Musiani francesca.musiani at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 04:49:18 PST 2024

Dear colleagues,

In the frame of the TIGre project (
https://netgouv.hypotheses.org/projet-technologie-internet-et-gouvernance-tigre-dim-stcn
), a group of researchers from the Centre Internet et Société of CNRS
(currently
: Julien Rossi, Francesca Musiani, Lucien Castex, Clément Perarnaud,
Jonathan Keller, Florian Giraudon) is mapping the arenas of Internet
governance, the sources of data concerning them, the methods used to
leverage them and the tools used in their collection and analysis. We adopt
an "extended" definition of Internet governance, including the study of the
socio-political role of both hardware and software infrastructures and of the
applications they enable.

As examples of what may be included in the mapping, the IETF, the European
Union, the ITU, the Internet Governance Forum (IGF)... are examples of relevant
fora and organizations. The IETF discussion lists are data sources for
an aspect
of Internet governance: technical standardisation. Tools such as BigBang ha
ve been designed to make it easier to collect data from these mailing lists
and analyse them, while tools such as Traceroute produce routing data and
BGP tables. The European Union's directives and regulations on Internet
governance, which are available on EUR-LEX, are also, e.g., sources of data.

We are deliberately adopting the broadest possible acception to include a
variety of data, archives, documents, etc. We aim to produce a public
database available to the research community that will list all these
tools, the data sources they mobilize, and the publications that show how
they have been used in specific studies.

We would be delighted to receive your contributions, ideally, by the end of
April. You may contribute via this form :
https://enquetes.univ-rennes2.fr/limesurvey/index.php/451869?lang=
<https://enquetes.univ-rennes2.fr/limesurvey/index.php/451869?lang=en>en
<https://enquetes.univ-rennes2.fr/limesurvey/index.php/451869?lang=en>

Thank you very much for your contribution to this collective effort!

Kind regards,

Julien Rossi, Francesca Musiani, Lucien Castex (project coordinators)
Clément Perarnaud, Jonathan Keller, Florian Giraudon

--
Francesca Musiani, Ph.D.

Chargée de recherche HDR | Associate Research Professor, CNRS
<http://www.cnrs.fr>
Directrice adjointe | Deputy Director, Centre for Internet and Society
<https://cis.cnrs.fr> (UPR 2000 & GDR 2091 CNRS)
Chercheuse associée | Associate Researcher, i3-CSI
<http://www.csi.ensmp.fr/>, MINES ParisTech
Global Fellow, Internet Governance Lab <https://internetgovernancelab.org>,
American University

I'm involved in projects: IAction