[Air-L] SI: Disinformation-for-hire as everyday digital labor, Social Media + Society journal

Rafael Do Nascimento Grohmann rafael.grohmann at utoronto.ca
Mon Jan 29 01:00:00 PST 2024

Hi there,

Social Media + Society journal published a special issue<https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/20563051231224723> edited by me and Jonathan Corpus Ong (University of Massachusetts - Amherst) on disinformation-for-hire as everyday digital labor, highlighting industries and workers behind disinformation. In our introductory position paper, we argue for greater articulation between digital labor scholarship and disinformation studies. We invite you to read the special issue<https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/20563051231224723> and spread the word!

Here is the table of contents:

Disinformation-For-Hire as Everyday Digital Labor
Rafael Grohmann & Jonathan Corpus Ong
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/20563051231224723

Shadow Politics: Commercial Digital Influencers, “Data,” and Disinformation in India
Sahana Udupa
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/20563051231224719

“It Was Very Hard for Me to Keep Doing That Job”: Understanding Troll Farm’s Working in the Arab World
Marina Ayeb & Tiziano Bonini
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/20563051231224713

Authenticity Governance and the Market for Social Media Engagements: The Shaping of Disinformation at the Peripheries of Platform Ecosystems
Johan Lindquist & Esther Weltevrede
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/20563051231224721

Downlining Disinformation: How MLM Distributors Use Gendered Strategies for Recruitment and Pastel QAnon Indoctrination
Frankie Mastrangelo & Gina Marie Longo
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/20563051231224735

“Memes Save Lives”: Stigma and the Production of Antivaccination Memes During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Stephanie Alice Baker & Michael James Walsh
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/20563051231224729

Whistleblower Memoirs: Deconstructing Data Consultants’ Insider Stories
Charlotte Knorr, Margitta Wolter & Christian Pentzold
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/20563051231224730

Three Critiques of Disinformation (For-Hire) Scholarship: Definitional Vortexes, Disciplinary Unneighborliness, and Cryptonormativity
Jayson Harsin
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/20563051231224732

best regards,

Rafael Grohmann and Jonathan Corpus Ong