[Air-L] The difficult conversation we don't seem to be having

Cristiane Damasceno CSDAMASC at uncg.edu
Tue Jan 23 12:01:02 PST 2024

Thanks for your email, Noam. I have also been mostly a silent observer in this group.

Among the many conflicting perspectives presented in this email thread, I think we all might agree on two points:

  *   The atrocities committed by Hamas on Oct 7th cannot be justified, and Israel has a duty to defend its citizens (~ 2 million Arabs included).
  *   Many innocent Palestinians are, in fact, dying because of the actions of both Hamas and the Israeli army.

Apart from these two points, there’s not much more that we know about this current conflict with certainty. For instance:

  *   How much are Hamas tactics also contributing to the loss of innocent lives and the proportionality calculus in this war?
  *   If Israel ceases fire right now, will Hamas cease fire as well?
  *   At this point, are there other alternatives for Israel to protect its citizens other than an armed conflict?

I don’t think anyone in this group has answers to these pertinent questions. Thus, it might be best to recognize the extent of our collective ignorance and not put out a statement that as an association about the conflict at this moment.

Short self-disclosure: I’m originally from Brazil, but currently live in the United States. The NOVA festival was co-organized by Brazilians and Israelis, so people from my country also died on October 7th. I’m very sorry for the loss of all lives in this conflict (Palestinians, Israelis, etc.). It’s all very sad.

Respectfully,
Cristiane