[Air-L] The difficult conversation we don't seem to be having

Aram Sinnreich aram at american.edu
Tue Jan 23 11:50:09 PST 2024

Colleagues,

Once again, I call for a discursive cease fire.

Nobody is going to convince anybody of anything on this thread.
Nobody is going to agree on a consensus policy on this thread.
Everybody is going to fall prey to anger and resentment on this thread.

As AoIR President Nik John pointed out in his email, our community can’t withstand this level of divisiveness for long, and it’s too precious to all of us to sacrifice it on the garbage fire of geopolitics.

There is a lot that we can do, individually and collectively, to resist the global authoritarian turn and to play a role in preventing genocide and other atrocities.

But this ain’t it.

So please, stop replying to this thread before we reach the point of no return as a community.

With love and admiration for you all,

Aram