[Air-L] The difficult conversation we don't seem to be having

Sky Croeser scroeser at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 19:38:08 PST 2024

I'm not sure if I fully understand the original issues that AoIR was
founded for (or where we draw the boundaries of those issues).

As my original email mentioned, we have a statement (
https://aoir.org/diversity-and-inclusivity/
) that  says the association is "committed to supporting diversity and
inclusivity both within internet research and beyond" and that we are
"committed
to the most fundamental principles of academic freedom, equality of
opportunity, and human dignity".

A situation in which (as I gave citations for in my original email) every
university in Gaza has been destroyed; students and academics within
Palestine have been killed and face displacement and starvation; academics
elsewhere in the world (including within Israel) face doxxing, jail, or
other threats for saying that they disagree with the bombing of
civilians...this does count as at least worth a  mention given the
commitments set out on our website. I do not think it is just some kind of
ridiculous virtue signalling to suggest that we should discuss it.

My original email did also bring up Yemen. It also implied, though I am
happy to say it explicitly, also, that there might be other times when we
also choose to speak up.

Or perhaps we should be choosing to amend our website to note that we are
an "apolitical" and "neutral" association that focuses on polite
conferences and meet-and-greets for networking purposes (for those who can
get the necessary visas and funds). And that the mailing list and other
spaces are purely for job offers and calls for papers and so on, not for
any discussion that some list members find challenging.

I raised this discussion because I know that silence is not neutrality, and
nor is it apolitical. Perhaps it is more comfortable to pretend that is the
case, but I do not think that it is healthy and I do not think that will
make the world better.