[Air-L] Difficult Discussion: What's Missing -- Digest, Vol 234, Issue 29

Sky Croeser scroeser at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 16:16:23 PST 2024

I believe that my initial email provided my justification (and careful
citations for each claim I made) for why we should speak up on this when we
have not issued statements on other acts of violence.

This includes the scale of the killing in Gaza, the attacks on civilians,
the attacks on universities, and the ongoing and worsening situation in
Gaza.

I did mention the Hamas attacks, noting that my government has taken a
strong stance and offered assistance to Israel. My initial email said that
where our governments are silent, we should speak up.

As I have reiterated, I don't think we need to replay the entire history of
the region in order to call for an end to attacks on civilians, attacks on
universities, and attacks on civilian infrastructure.

I would like to point out the danger of arguing that massive civilian
casualties and collective punishment (particularly withholding fuel, food,
and water) are justified if military objectives would otherwise be
difficult to achieve. If that is a general principle one supports (rather
than a rule for only one side of a conflict) it can justify many horrors.

I hope that I have misunderstood what seems to be a claim by several
academics on this list that it is reasonable to attack civilians (including
children and infants) if they are near, mixed with, or even possibly may
have voted for or somehow approve of groups considered to be military
targets.