[Air-L] The difficult conversation we don't seem to be having

Sky Croeser scroeser at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 03:10:37 PST 2024

I was aware that an argument like this would probably emerge. I feel it is
unlikely that we all on this list  are likely to agree on the "trigger" for
this "war" (though I do not agree that it is a war). I don't think that we
need to.

There is, as we all know, a long history here that goes back not just to
October 7th 2023 but also well before it.

I hope that most of us can also agree that however brutal the attacks of
2023 may have been, no action by a small section of a population can
justify the widespread massacre of the broader civilian population,
including thousands of children.

As I have noted, many of us (myself included) live in countries where our
governments have spoken against the attacks of October 7th. Many of our
governments, including the Australian, have also offered Israel diplomatic
or military support in the wake of those attacks. Our governments have not
offered the same meaningful action in support of Palestinian civilians
under attack.

I am aware that many other states engage in unjust violence. I was on the
streets when Australia invaded Iraq. I hope we will all continue to protest
against our governments when we need to, even as protest is criminalised in
many places.

We do not have to offer a diagnosis of the full history of the region to
speak up against the current actions of the Israeli state.

We can say that we will speak up where our governments do not.
We can say that nothing justifies the widespread massacre of civilians.
We can offer solidarity to students, researchers, and teachers in Palestine
who are are among those desperately trying to stay alive.
We can offer solidarity to those in Israel and elsewhere who face
repression when calling for an end to the attacks on Palestinian civilians.