[Air-L] EASST/4S CfP Panel - 'The banality of failure'

i.zakharova at ish.uni-hannover.de i.zakharova at ish.uni-hannover.de
Tue Jan 16 09:59:40 PST 2024

Dear list members,

we would like to draw your attention to the call for abstracts for the panel
“The banality of failure: Disturbances, fragilities and resilience of
digital infrastructures, media and technologies” at the EASST/4S 2024.

We would like to invite you to discuss with us, how can societies
productively engage with technological fragilities?  What is the role of
failure in our relations with technologies? How to develop practices of
resilience? As big and small breakdowns challenge everyday activities, our
panel explores the banality of failure and maintenance work.

The abstract submission deadline is February 12th. To submit your abstracts
please use the following link:
https://nomadit.co.uk/conference/easst-4s2024/p/14248

We are looking forward to exciting discussions at the EASST/4S 2024 in
Amsterdam!

Kind regards,

Irina Zakharova, Erik Koenen, Christian Schwarzenegger & Sigrid Kannengießer

The banality of failure: Disturbances, fragilities and resilience of digital
infrastructures, media and technologies

Long panel abstract:

This open panel takes as a starting point studies of infrastructures, their
breakdowns, and the often invisible maintenance work supporting digital
technologies. How can societies productively engage with technological
fragilities?  What is the role of failure in our relations with technologies
and what practices of resilience develop from these relations? How can
everyday maintenance work be acknowledged and integrated into
technopolitics? Breakdowns such as an internet connection not working during
an important video call or an electricity outage following an ecological or
human-made crisis are no rare occurrences. As such small and big breakdowns
challenge everyday activities, they render visible the inherent fragility of
our digitally mediated existence. There is, however, an inclination in both
public discourse and academic scrutiny to focus on the extraordinary rather
than the commonplace. Taking a step back from such attention to the
transformative power of breakdown, this paper aims to explore the banality
of failure and everyday maintenance work.

Dealing with ‚small’ everyday technical malfunctions, failures, and
glitches, caring for or fixing technological breakdowns has become as
invisible and taken for granted as the digital infrastructures themselves.
Noticeably, these practices of everyday maintenance are often overlooked
when advertising new technologies, but present integral components of the
economic revenue models, digital design and user experience. Lastly, we need
to recognize the environmental impact stemming from intentional design of
digital technologies that seem destined to fail, pushing consumers towards
more frequent replacements rather than fixes. This panel invites to explore
such disturbances, fragilities and resilience in our relations with digital
infrastructures. Topics can include empirical cases of common or
exceptional, deliberate or unintentional technological failures and their
fixes, reflections on existing failure-free technopolitics, material
obsolesce and the intentionally limited lifecycles of digital technologies,
and conceptual inquiries into the nature of failure, disturbance, and
resilience.

--

Dr. Irina Zakharova
Postdoctoral researcher

Leibniz University Hannover
Institute of Sociology
Working group Sociology of Digitalisation

Current publications:

Zakharova, Irina and Annekatrin Bock. (2023). Researching in/visibilities
and data practices in education. On Education. Journal for Research and
Debate, 6(18).  <https://doi.org/10.17899/on_ed.2023.18.4>
https://doi.org/10.17899/on_ed.2023.18.4 (open access)

Roeske Adrian, Büntemeyer, Doreen, Zakharova, Irina and Andreas Breiter.
2023. Digitale Methoden in Bildungsforschung und Bildungspraxis. Ein Chatbot
als Untersuchungsinstrument. In Schiefner-Rohs, Many, Hofhues, Sandra und
Andreas Breiter (eds.) Datafizierung (in) der Bildung. Kritische
perspektiven auf digitale Vermessung in pädagogischen Kontexten (S. 81-102).
Transkript. (
<https://www.transcript-verlag.de/978-3-8376-6582-6/datafizierung-in-der-bil
dung/> open access)

Zakharova, Irina, and Juliane Jarke. 2023. Do Predictive Analytics Dream of
Risk-Free Education? The Politics of Risk Mitigation. Postdigital Science
and Education.  <https://doi.org/10.1007/s42438-023-00411-x>
https://doi.org/10.1007/s42438-023-00411-x (open access)