[Air-L] Tues 23 Jan: Zoom book talk - Machine Visions: New Books by Parikka, Dobson & Rettberg

Jill Walker Rettberg Jill.Walker.Rettberg at uib.no
Tue Jan 16 07:52:07 PST 2024

What: A 60 minute online book panel featuring three 2023 books about automated vision.
When: Tuesday 23 January at 18:00 in Oslo / 5 pm in the UK / 12 noon in New York
Where: On zoom – sign up here: https://uib.zoom.us/meeting/register/u5ckcuirpj0iHNeBMlFIG7CIwk44xjvvtsjQ

  *   James E. Dobson: The Birth of Computer Vision, University of Minnesota Press, 2023. (https://shorturl.at/IQU35)
  *   Jussi Parikka: Operational Images: From the Visual to the Invisual, University of Minnesota Press, 2023. (https://shorturl.at/jxZ38)
  *   Jill Walker Rettberg: Machine Vision: How Algorithms are Changing the Way We See the World, Polity Press, 2023. (https://shorturl.at/gklQ1)

Join Jussi Parikka, Jed Dobson and me for an online discussion of our new books! All three of us published books on different aspects of machine vision last year - mine on the cultural implications, Jussi's on the idea of the operative image, and Jed's on the history of how image recognition was developed.

We decided to get together to talk about the books and we'd love you to join us! The book talk will be hosted by Gabriele de Seta<https://www.linkedin.com/in/gabrieledeseta/> – each of us will give a short presentation of our book followed by discussion and questions from the audience.

Hope to see you there!

Jill
Jill Walker Rettberg
Professor, Co-Director Center for Digital Narrative<http://uib.no/en/cdn>