[Air-L] CFP - P3: Power, Propaganda, Polarisation (ICA postconference, Brisbane, 26-27 June 2024)

Axel Bruns a.bruns at qut.edu.au
Thu Jan 11 20:36:47 PST 2024

Dear AoIRists,

With my colleagues Anja Bechmann and Jessica Gabriele Walter at Aarhus University and Daniel Kreiss at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, I am organising a postconference event after the 2024 ICA conference on the Gold Coast, Australia. Our postconference is titled P3: Power, Propaganda, Polarisation, and brings together current and emerging conceptual and applied theoretical and methodological approaches to the study of the relationship between power, propaganda, and polarisation. Day One reviews and challenges our conceptual frameworks for understanding the relationship between power and patterns of information and social interaction, while Day Two takes stock of the current methodological toolkit for the study of power, propaganda, and polarisation.

The postconference will be held at the Kelvin Grove campus of Queensland University of Technology in central Brisbane, Australia - just north of the Gold Coast where the main ICA conference will take place. We've scheduled the event for 26-27 June 2024, to give participants sufficient time to make the move up from the Gold Coast to Brisbane after the ICA conference on 20-24 June, and to enable them to travel on to the IAMCR conference over in Christchurch, New Zealand, afterwards (which starts on 30 June). Registration costs will be US$50 for faculty and US$25 for students, and participation in the main ICA conference is not required.

We now invite you to submit a paper proposal of 3,500 characters (around 500 words) to the postconference. The full CFP and submission form for the postconference is located at https://bit.ly/p3postconf, and the final deadline for submissions is 1 February 2024.

Please don't hesitate to contact me or the other organisers if you have any questions about the postconference, and of course feel free to share this with other relevant colleagues. Looking forward to seeing you in Brisbane!

--
Prof. Axel Bruns FAHA FQA (he/his)
Australian Laureate Fellow, 2022-26: Polarisation and Partisanship

Programme Leader: Digital Publics
QUT Digital Media Research Centre (DMRC)
https://research.qut.edu.au/dmrc/ -- @qutdmrc -- @socialmediaQUT

Chief Investigator: Australian Search Experience
ARC Centre of Excellence for Automated Decision-Making and Society (ADM+S)
https://www.admscentre.org.au/ -- @admscentre

Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
Z9-503, Creative Industries Precinct, Kelvin Grove, Qld. 4059, Australia
GPO Box 2434, Brisbane, Qld. 4001, Australia -- TEQSA PRV12079 CRICOS 00213J