[Air-L] Methodology recommendations for platform analysis

Martin Berg martin.berg at mau.se
Fri Jan 5 06:16:57 PST 2024

Hi,

Check out this open-access article:

Berg, M. (2022). Digital Technography: A Methodology for Interrogating Emerging Digital Technologies and Their Futures. Qualitative Inquiry, 28(7), 827-836. https://doi.org/10.1177/10778004221096851

Abstract
This article introduces “digital technography” as a methodology to interrogate and voice emerging digital technologies and their anticipated futures. I demonstrate, with reference to recent research on wearable self-tracking devices, digital food technologies, and platforms for work automation, how one can gain an understanding of these technologies by attending to the materials in which they are promoted; and actively engaging with them imaginatively and self-reflexively as a social scientist. This article outlines a digital technographic methodology centered around the three conceptual anchors of specification, valorization, and anticipation, all of which pertain to how a digital technology aims and perhaps even aspires to become a part of everyday life.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/10778004221096851

Best wishes,

Martin

—
Professor Martin Berg
Department of Computer Science and Media Technology
Malmö University

https://mau.se/en/persons/martin.berg/