[Air-L] Save the Date - Robert Gorwa at Manchester Metropolitan on Friday 1st March at 16:00 - The Politics of Platform Regulation

Sophie Helen Bishop sophiehelenbishop at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 08:46:10 PST 2024

*Eventbrite and room details to follow shortly! Save the date! *

Date: Friday 1st March
Time: 16:00
Location: Manchester Metropolitan University

*Robert Gorwa (WBZ Berlin Social Science Centre)The Politics of Platform
Regulation: How Governments Shape Online Content Moderation*

As digital platforms have become more integral to not just how we live,
but also to how we do politics, the rules governing online expression,
behaviour, and interaction created by large multinational technology firms
--- popularly termed ‘content moderation,’ ‘platform governance,’ or
‘trust and safety’ --- have increasingly become the target of government
regulatory efforts seeking to shape them. In this talk, Robert Gorwa
provides a summary of his first book, forthcoming with Oxford University
Press, which provides a conceptual and empirical analysis of this
important and emerging tech policy terrain of ‘platform regulation.’ How,
why, and where exactly is it happening? Why now? And how do we best
understand the vast array of strategies being deployed across
jurisdictions to tackle this issue?

*Bio*

Robert Gorwa is a postdoctoral research fellow at the WZB Berlin Social
Science Center. He conducts interdisciplinary empirical and conceptual
research addressing the politics of technology policy with a special
interest in government-industry relations and emerging socio-technical
governance arrangements in the platform economy. Gorwa received his
doctorate from the Department of Politics and International Relations at
the University of Oxford and is currently a fellow at the Center for
Democracy and Technology and Centre for International Governance
Innovation, as well as a co-founder of the Platform Governance Research
Network (PlatGovNet).

--
Dr Sophie Bishop
www.sophiehelenbishop.com | @sophiehbishop