[Air-L] Hillary Clinton on Internet Freedom (2011)

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Thu Feb 15 18:35:53 PST 2024

On this day, February 15, in 2011, United States Secretary of State Hillary
Clinton delivered an address 'Internet Freedom' at George Washington
University in Washington DC.  This was her second speech on the topic,
following an earlier one on January 10, 2010.
<https://2009-2017.state.gov/secretary/20092013clinton/rm/2010/01/135519.htm>

I urge countries everywhere instead to join us in the bet we have made, a
> bet that an open Internet will lead to stronger, more prosperous countries.
> At its core, it’s an extension of the bet that the United States has been
> making for more than 200 years, that open societies give rise to the most
> lasting progress, that the rule of law is the firmest foundation for
> justice and peace, and that innovation thrives where ideas of all kinds
> are aired and explored. This is not a bet on computers or mobile phones.
> It’s a bet on people. We’re confident that together with those partners in
> government and people around the world who are making the same bet by
> hewing to universal rights that underpin open societies, we’ll preserve the
> Internet as an open space for all. And that will pay long-term gains for
> our shared progress and prosperity. The United States will continue to
> promote an Internet where people’s rights are protected and that it is open
> to innovation, interoperable all over the world, secure enough to hold
> people’s trust, and reliable enough to support their work.

Video/audio: https://archive.org/details/hillary-clinton-internet-freedom

Transcript:
https://archive.org/download/hillary-clinton-internet-freedom/Hillary_Clinton_-_Internet_Freedom.pdf

-