[Air-L] The platformization of consumer culture - Special Issue

Alessandro Caliandro alessandro.caliandro at unipv.it
Mon Feb 12 01:28:10 PST 2024

Dear Colleagues,

*Marketing Theory* journal published a special issue, edited by me and
Alessandro Gandini, Lucia Bainotti and Guido Anselmi on ‘platformization of
consumer culture’. In our introductory position paper (‘*The
platformization of consumer culture: A theoretical framework*’,
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/14705931231225537), we provide a
comprehensive framework useful to introduce and theorise the concept of
platformization of consumer culture. Specifically, we identify four key
'tensions' characterizing the platformization of consumer culture:
*datafication
vs liquification*; *standardization vs ephemerality*; *interaction vs
mediation*; *immateriality vs materiality*. If you like, please have a look
at the special issue ; )

Here is the table of contents:

*Restless platformance: how prosumer practices change platform markets*

Daiane Scaraboto and Eileen Fischer

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/14705931231195188

*Platformised possessions and relational labour *

Janice Denegri-Knott, Rebecca Jenkins, Mike Molesworth and Georgiana Grigore

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/14705931231201783

*Memetic logics of participation: fitness body culture on Instagram*

Jonathan David Schöps, Sarah Schwarz and Veronika Rojkowski

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/14705931231201779

*How consumer-initiated platforms shape family and consumption *

Lydia Ottlewski, Joonas Rokka and John W. Schouten

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/14705931231201780

*Curating a consumption ideology: platformization and gun influencers on
Instagram*

Jenna Drenten, Lauren Gurrieri, Aimee Dinnín Huff, and Michelle Barnhart

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/14705931231207329

*Digital consumers and platform workers unite and fight? The
platformisation of consumer activism in the case of# cancel_efood in Greece*

Photini Vrikki and Eleftheria Lekakis

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/14705931231195191

*The cultural underpinnings of platformization: how social movement
organizations helped form the category of the sharing economy*

Domen Bajde, Maja Golf-Papez and and Barbara Culiberg

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/14705931231201781

best regards,

Alessandro Caliandro, Alessandro Gandini, Lucia Bainotti and Guido Anselmi

--
Alessandro Caliandro
Associate Professor in Sociology of Culture and Communication

Researcher V-DATA project (Surveillance Capitalism in Italy):
https://vdataresearch.com/
Research Stream 3 Leader of ACTIVE-IT:
https://ageingsocieties.unimib.it/active-it/
Member of Ageing Societies: https://ageingsocieties.unimib.it/

Università degli Studi di Pavia
Dipartimento di Scienze Politiche e Sociali
Strada Nuova 65
27100 Pavia

phone: 0382 984325
e-mail: alessandro.caliandro at unipv.it
Alessandro Caliandro's Personal Meeting Room (ZOOM)
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8629741587

*If you please, check out my most recent publications ; ) *

Caliandro, A., Gandini, A., Bainotti, L., & Anselmi, G. (2024). The
platformization of consumer culture: A theoretical framework. *Marketing
Theory*, https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/14705931231225537

Audy Martínek, P., Caliandro, A., & Denegri-Knott, J. (2023). Digital
practices tracing: studying consumer lurking in digital environments. *Journal
of Marketing Management*, 39(3-4), 244-274.
https://doi.org/10.1080/0267257X.2022.2105385