[Air-L] [cfp] papers for Histories of Computing in Asia workshop now being accepted

Christopher Leslie chrisleslienyc at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 10 22:34:21 PST 2024

Dear Colleagues,

I hope you’ll consider submitting a paper for the Histories of Computing in Asia workshop, which will be held in Phuket, Thailand, in September 2024. We welcome historical accounts, first-hand narratives, historiographies, pedagogical papers, and papers about relevant museum or archival holdings. More information is available in our full CFP: https://ifipwg97.org/workshops/hca2024/

As can be seen from our full CFP, IFIP Working Group 9.7 is interested in broadening the history of computing with an understanding of international cooperation and developments in Asian countries. Asia offers many exemplary stories about the importance of international connectedness in computing. Many computing professionals hail from this region, to be sure, but also some early developments like Korea’s Cyworld presaged international phenomena. As always, adapting technology to local conditions results in innovation and local histories provide important caveats to universal histories. Some of this information has been published in languages other than English, so our workshop will also help to build a bridge between the English-speaking community with research in other languages.

Our typical practice is to publish post-workshop proceedings. We will review conference papers (2,500 to 5,000 words) until 1 April 2024. Acceptances along with reviewer comments will be announced on 1 May 2024. We will circulate draft papers in advance of the workshop with the aim of fostering a lively discussion at the workshop, which will be held at Dusit Thani Laguna in Phuket. Authors can then revise their papers based on comments at the workshop for consideration in the proceedings volume, which will be published by Springer.

Working Group 9.7 has organized more than a dozen workshops that highlight the international nature of the history of computing, particularly with our Springer volumes on Nordic countries, Soviet and Russian computing, and eastern Europe. Even though the workshop language is English, most of our participants do not speak English as a first language; we are committed to international exchange, so we encourage all researchers to participate.

Draft papers are now being accepted. Sometime before April 1, please submit your work via Springer's EquinOCS service: https://equinocs.springernature.com/service/HC2024

Would you be so kind as to forward this announcement along your networks and inform your colleagues and students who might potentially be interested? If you have any comments or suggestions, please let me know.

Chris Leslie

---

Dr. Christopher Leslie (he/him)

Author of From Hyperspace to Hypertext: Masculinity, Globalization, and Their Discontents (Palgrave 2023)
https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-981-99-2027-3

Blog: chrisleslie.info

Chair, IFIP Working Group 9.7: History of Technology

Lecturer, Faculty of Liberal Arts
Prince of Songkla University
Hat Yai, Thailand