[Air-L] Another 4S/EAST panel - Research/Designing with

Gardner, Daniel dgardner at chapman.edu
Wed Feb 7 22:28:25 PST 2024

Hello!

If you are conducting collaborative, participatory, and/or community-driven work, and/or experimenting with new forms participant collaborative methods and authorship, consider submitting to Panel #257: Examining, designing, and building knowledge with: Methods for amplifying and integrating excluded perspetives.

Short Abstract:
“This panel will describe, demonstrate, suggest, and workshop methods of approaching research and design that share the authority over knowledge or outcomes with the participants or communities involved in their generation. Workshop element will incorporate the experience and priorities of attendees.”

This panel will be a mix of more traditional panels and interactive workshop sections with emergent elements based on who is presenting and who is attending.

Full abstract below!

Hope to see you there.
Dan Gardner
Currently: Chapman University
Soon: Robert Gordon University

Full Abstract:
The academic industrial complex thrives and encourages authority through inhabiting the position of author. Publish or perish, we hear, and make sure you are “first!” Even in this abstract, I strive to perform some semblance of authority to suggest credibility.

Author and authority fittingly share a Latin root referring to mastery and leadership. STS has a lengthy history of reflecting on our personal positionality, privileges, and situatedness related to the phenomena we observe and generate knowledge about. Our community is well-versed in considering how our own experiences and perspectives shape the kind of analysis we can produce. As our interdisciplinary pursuits adopt increasingly sensitive and reflexive approaches, there is still need to grapple with the inherently privileged and authoritative positionality of the basic mode of scholarship in the form of authorship. When is it appropriate to describe ourselves as the author(ity) of the lives and experiences of others? How can integrating the diverse perspectives of those with lived expertise related to whatever phenomena evolve our scholarship?

There is a wealth of scholarship (especially in design research) on “participatory” methods or that suggests alternative means of disseminating knowledge. This panel invites, and celebrates, submissions that attempt to move beyond participation or cursory collaboration in their approach, to create analysis, designs, or knowledge with or within communities. Submissions should demonstrate or suggest methods of sharing authority over knowledge generation, especially to amplify historically under- or mis-represented communities, or around other critical topical areas. The panel will include more traditional talks and workshop activities.

Submissions should:

•Describe traditional scholarly looking work, where participants or community members shared authorship or were otherwise given an active stake in how data was analyzed or presented.

•Present or suggest alternative, creative, artistic, or performative modes of disseminating knowledge that stem from and prioritize community-driven values or ontologies.

This Combined Format Open Panel has so far received 1 contribution proposal(s).
Propose contribution<https://nomadit.co.uk/conference/easst-4s2024/paper-form/14329>