[Air-L] New Yorker: Can the Internet Be Governed?

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Mon Feb 5 03:47:17 PST 2024

Lengthy Op-Ed by Akash Kapur. Paywall but first time visitors should be
fine. If in trouble ask me for the text.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2024/02/05/can-the-internet-be-governed

Will the Internet harden into an oligarchic playground, or will it become
> the tamer (and perhaps less innovative) place envisioned by European
> regulators, something akin to a digital public utility? Will large sections
> of it eventually bend to the power of tyrants and illiberal populists,
> determined to stamp out what Xi Jinping has castigated as the network’s
> “hidden negative energy”? Or will the more consequential influence be the
> model that India is pioneering, a walled garden in which private enterprise
> is allowed to flourish, but within confines established by the state?

The answer may at least partly lie in how—and where—the Internet is being