[Air-L] ORDER NOW: Routledge Handbook on the Influence Industry

Dr. Emma Briant teflpolsoc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 23:42:40 PDT 2024

Dear Friends,

I am delighted to share some news with you all: The Routledge Handbook on
the Influence Industry
<https://www.routledge.com/Routledge-Handbook-of-the-Influence-Industry/Briant-Bakir/p/book/9781032188997>
(edited
by Emma L Briant and Vian Bakir), is finally on sale and available to
pre-order on Routledge website in your region!
<https://www.routledge.com/Routledge-Handbook-of-the-Influence-Industry/Briant-Bakir/p/book/9781032188997>
The
book takes aim at the institutions and industries *behind *the
disinformation crisis, seeking to reorient the field toward structural
causes and infrastructure. This vital and timely text should be in print on
15th October, just before the US election. Scholars can scan the list of
fantastic contributors, order a copy for the library and add to students’
reading lists now.

This Handbook provides the first comprehensive examination of the influence
industry and how it operates worldwide across different domains. The volume
fills a gap in scholarship exploring the recent technical, political and
economic development of the influence industry, surveying the extent of
different technologies and services offered to clients worldwide across
multiple domains (commercial, political, national security and government).
The chapters are divided into three thematic sections, and evaluate
Influence Industry practices, aims and effectiveness across audiences;
business practices and economics; and democratic structures and human
rights. They also offer advice for researchers and consider key ethical
issues and new regulatory approaches. This volume will be of much interest
to students of political science, propaganda studies, sociology,
communication studies and journalism.

See below for a list of recommendations it has received so far from top
scholars in the field.

Thank you for taking the time to read, order, recommend and share my email
or the link in your circles.

Best wishes,

Emma (and Vian)

*Recommendations*

"This essential and comprehensive volume brings together an impressive
range of scholars from across the world to shine a light into one of the
most important - but misunderstood - issues of our time." Rory Cormac,
University of Nottingham, UK

"At a time when too much scholarly attention is given to the notion that
disinformation is but an artifact of algorithms and social media's
commercial logic, Emma L. Briant and Vian Bakir remind us of the role of
institutionalized political power, what they call in this important volume
the influence industry.  Powerful industry actors take advantage of
technology to shape public perceptions and even behaviors in a struggle for
dominance and control.  This insightful book is a must-read for those
interested in understanding modern digital politics." Steven Livingston,
George Washington University, USA

"This invaluable collection gives a sharply-focused analysis of what the as
yet under-researched influence industry is. Even more important, it reveals
what the industry does - shaping how people think and guiding how they act
- through a series of impressive case studies that show how data-driven
influence campaigns and practices operate worldwide across commerce,
politics and national security. Innovative conceptually, it proposes a new,
better way to understand and study propaganda and disinformation. And it
offers constructive, practical proposals for countering their effects."
Steven Lukes, New York University, USA

"The Routledge Handbook of the Influence Industry is one of the most
important contributions in our field in recent times. The editors have done
a remarkable job in bringing together a series of works that have
effectively open a new space for reflection and discussion. I have no doubt
that it will quickly become a seminal piece that will be quoted and used as
a reference by scholars and experts to understand the perversity and the
extent of manipulation of the public that have led to disasters such as
Brexit and the 2016 election of Donald Trump." Jairo Lugo-Ocando,
University of Sharjah, UAE

--
Dr Emma L Briant

Owner: Maven of Persuasion LLC
Associate Professor at Monash University
Fellow at Bard College, Human Rights Project
Associate at University of Cambridge, Center for Financial Reporting &
Accountability
Speaking agent: Chartwell Speakers
<https://www.chartwellspeakers.com/speaker/emma-briant/>
Book agent: Inkwell Management <https://inkwellmanagement.com/>
Author of: *Propaganda and Counter-Terrorism: Strategies for Global
Change *from
Manchester University Press
Co-Author of: *Bad News for Refugees* with Prof. Greg Philo and Dr. Pauline
Donald from Pluto Press.

Support my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/emmalbriant
Website: www.emma-briant.co.uk
Sign up for my Newsletter
<http://emma-briant.co.uk/sign-up-for-important-updates/>!
Follow me on Mastodon @emmalbriant at mastodon.online
Follow me on Twitter @emmalbriant

"I thought yesterday was the first day of the rest of my life but it turns
out today is." - Steve Martin
“Women are like teabags . We don’t know our true strength until we are in
hot water.” - Unknown