[Air-L] Invitation to AAG virtual sessions on migration data (April 19)

Ana Visan ana.m.visan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 11:30:43 PDT 2024

Dear colleagues,

We are writing to invite you to attend three panel discussions about
migration data as part of the Toronto regional node of the American
Association of Geographers annual conference on *Friday, April 19th.*

The sessions are focused on discussing how to research, preserve, and share
migration-related data, and are organized by the founders of *Haven: The
Asylum Lab,* a new lab at the University of Toronto Scarborough that aims
to become a repository for global migration data sets and to encourage
international and cross-disciplinary conversations around migration data.

The three panels are:
1. Collecting Obscured International Migration Data (featuring Haven
website launch and first data drop)
2. International Migration Data and Contemporary Bordering Practices
3. Methodological Approaches to, Experiences of and Challenges in Making
Access to Information Requests

Please consider joining us in person (register here
<https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=JsKqeAMvTUuQN7RtVsVSEK6I0Qgl8FVKiGkQT0z4BjJUNU05M0RKUlI0VkNXWE84R0lIM1BOSjlZSC4u>)
or online (participation is free).
Details for each session, including Zoom links, are in the attached PDF.

*About Haven: The Asylum Lab*

Haven: The Asylum Lab is dedicated to the preservation and sharing of
migration-related data, by providing space, infrastructure, resources, and
tools to support collaborative analysis of these data, so that we can
collectively have and share better access and tell better stories and
counternarratives with data. Beyond our brick-and-mortar lab in
Scarborough, we are also a global network and an online archive for data.
We are in the process of launching a new website that will support these
functions.

Haven’s website will feature a monthly data drop. Each data drop will
profile the work of a researcher or project that assembled a unique data
set, now archived at U of T through Haven. The drop will be accompanied by
a podcast interview where researchers explain the importance and collection
of these data, as well as papers and other work conducted with these data,
and a webinar where researchers discuss how to operationalize methods used
to collect these data (e.g., visualization, access to information requests).

The Haven website will make it possible for those interested to be involved
in multiple ways: by contributing data, by joining the Haven network, or by
using our resources in the classroom.

We look forward to sharing more information with you and hope that we can
collaborate at Haven in some capacity soon.

PhD Candidate at the Balsillie School of International Affairs
<https://www.balsillieschool.ca/>
WhatsApp: +1 519 502 3310 <https://wa.me/0015195023310>
Phone: +40723524144