[Air-L] Text & Data Mining Inquiry

Christian Howard-Sukhil cfh.howard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 13:21:00 PDT 2023

Dear all,

My name is Christian Howard-Sukhil, and I am the Text & Data Mining Legal
Fellow at a non-profit organization called Authors Alliance
<https://www.authorsalliance.org/>. Authors Alliance has received a grant
from the Mellon Foundation to learn about how academic researchers are
using Text and Data Mining (TDM) in their research. TDM is known by several
other names in the academy, including topic modeling, distant reading, text
mining for Digital Humanities, and textual analysis and data mining. The
project examines how academics engage in TDM for their research as well as
difficulties (especially legal issues) that such researchers face in
conducting their studies.

As part of these efforts, we are seeking information from TDM practitioners
and support staff to help us understand how they engage in TDM, barriers
that they have faced in conducting such research, and ways in which their
TDM research could be improved.

If you are an academic researcher or support staff engaged in TDM and you
are willing to have a 30-45 minute Zoom conversation to discuss your
experiences, please book a time to chat here
<https://chsukhil.youcanbook.me/>. Alternatively, feel free to email me
directly at christian at authorsalliance.org to schedule a meeting. We are
happy to keep your information confidential if preferred.

Your willingness to share your experiences could materially affect future
laws surrounding Text and Data Mining for academic researchers, so any
information that you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Please also feel free to forward this email to other scholars you may know
who are engaged in TDM.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or would like
additional information.

Thank you,

Christian

--