[Air-L] Media studies syllabus / teaching ideas?

Jeff jeff.amberstein at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 04:42:15 PDT 2023

Dear friends and colleagues,

I am teaching some new undergraduate Media Studies courses this year. I was
wondering whether anyone would be willing to share their materials or
syllabi. As there is probably a lot of overlap between the courses that
AoIR members teach, it would be interesting to hear what other people do:
Is there a particular textbook that is useful? Is there a set of core
readings that is typically assigned in these types of classes? Any ideas
for activities that work well in lecture-style settings for undergrad
students? Here are the courses that I'm working on:

Introduction to New Media: This wide-ranging course covers the contemporary
social, economic, and political implications of the Internet. Key topics
include digital politics, the risks of AI, data ethics, and misinformation.
The aim is to provide students with an understanding of the main
contemporary issues regarding the societal implications of the internet
while framing these with core theories from Media Studies, Communication,
and Information Studies.

Economic implications of the Internet: This course covers the impact of the
internet on various sectors, including but not limited to, retail, banking,
finance, and travel. It covers both practical changes and shifts in norms
and theory engendered by the internet. It covers the main ways in which
companies adopt and use digital technologies.

I’m still in the very early process of designing these courses, so would be
very happy for any input so that it doesn’t feel as though I am reinventing
the wheel. I’ll also share back when the courses take shape. Looking
forward to hearing what you do!

Jeff