[Air-L] CfP - Workshop about Centering Refugees, Migrants, and Asylum Seekers Experiences in Digitalization and Datafication

Peer, Firaz firazpeer at uky.edu
Fri Sep 8 10:53:39 PDT 2023

Hello Everyone,

On behalf of our organizing team, I’d like to invite you to submit your position papers to the hybrid workshop we’re organizing at this year’s CSCW conference in Minneapolis about “Centering Refugees, Migrants, and Asylum Seekers Experiences in Digitalization and Datafication”. The deadline to submit your papers is Friday, September 15th, exactly a week away.

I’ve included the abstract of the workshop below. You can find more information about the workshop themes, schedule, and organizers on the website at https://migrationanddatafication.github.io/workshop/.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.

Abstract
Computer-Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW) and related fields of research are advocating for comprehensive investigations into the role of data and data-driven technologies to ensure responsible and appropriate usage within the context of migration, particularly for refugees and asylum seekers - a domain, set to be fundamentally reformed by data-driven technologies. The growing production of new types of data about refugees and asylum seekers presents authorities with novel opportunities to incorporate such data in their decision-making processes. Similarly, the ways through which refugees and asylum seekers are seeking information about healthcare, education, housing, peer support and other services is increasingly being done in online and digital spaces. As such, this workshop aims to center the experience of refugee and asylum seeking experiences across migration related information systems in order to unpack the ways through which digitalization and datafication impacts/transforms their daily lives and vice versa.

Thanks,
Firaz.