[Air-L] Book announcement: Living with Digital Surveillance in China

Ollier Malaterre, Ariane ollier.ariane at uqam.ca
Fri Sep 1 09:12:25 PDT 2023

Dear colleagues,

I'm thrilled to announce that my book Living with Digital Surveillance in China is coming out! It explores how Chinese citizens make sense of digital surveillance and live with it. It provides Chinese and Western academic background on privacy, surveillance and the history of social governance in China, and an analysis of research interviews conducted in China.

It is the latest release of the Routledge<https://www.linkedin.com/feed/> Studies in Surveillance series edited by Kirstie Ball, William Webster, Charles Raab, and Pete Fussey. I thank David Lyon, Genia Kostka, Rogier Creemers, and Chenchen Zhang for their generous endorsements.

I will give a BOOK TALK on Sept 13 at 9amEST/2pmUK for the Centre for Research into Information, Surveillance and Privacy (CRISP). Please join on TEAMS if you can (link at the bottom of the page). http://www.crisp-surveillance.com/event/262/living-digital-surveillance-china-citizens-narratives-technology-privacy-and-governance

The book will also be discussed at the AoIR conference on Oct 20 with 3 other fantastic books by Natasha Tusikov and Blayne Haggart, Alice Marwick and Aram Sinnreich.

A few links if I've piqued your curiosity:
Have your library acquire the book and browse chapter abstracts<https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/mono/10.4324/9781003403876/living-digital-surveillance-china-ariane-ollier-malaterre>
Request a free copy to write a book review<https://m.email.taylorandfrancis.com/review-copy-request-form>
Request an inspection copy to assign it as a reading<https://www.routledge.com/textbooks/evaluation/9781003403876>
Pre-order the book as of Sep 15<https://routledge.pub/Living-with-Digital-Surveillance-in-China> - 20% off with code EFL03

Apologies for cross-postings. Wishing you all a great day!
Ariane Ollier-Malaterre