[Air-L] CFP: Panel submission ICA 2024 - Generative AI and Creativity

Jonathon Hutchinson jonathon.hutchinson at sydney.edu.au
Sun Oct 15 23:40:40 PDT 2023

Dear Colleagues,

With apologies for cross posting, and on behalf of my collaborator, Dr Chunmeizi Su, please see below the call for papers for our panel at the 2024 International Communication Association conference (https://www.icahdq.org/mpage/ICA24).

Please send your 150-word abstract followed by a very brief (< 100 word) description of you and/or your team’s background and qualifications regarding generative AI and creativity to jonathon.hutchinson at sydney.edu.au<mailto:jonathon.hutchinson at sydney.edu.au> and chunmeizi.su at sydney.edu.au<mailto:chunmeizi.su at sydney.edu.au> with the subject line: ICA Panel - Generative AI and Creativity. Please forward before 26 October.

We will notify you with the outcome of your abstract by November 27.

Cultural Production and Generative Artificial Intelligence - A matchpoint for creativity?

Generative AI has recently received strong attention especially as ChatGPT and Stable Diffusion models are increasingly integrated into different digital services, such as Microsoft’s Bing, Google’s search functionality and many more. Beyond the obvious responses surrounding the ethical boundaries, or its encroachment against creativity and copyright, there are, we argue, more significant areas that require scholarly inquiry. In many ways, this is a return to the late 2000’s debates that surround the role of digital media technologies in supporting innovation, while also protecting the rights of creators within their industries. Yet, these emerging discussions move beyond supporting innovation and towards the potential impact on the industries that stand to flourish or perish as generative AI models become more intelligent and user-friendly. How then, can generative AI (even from the audience perspective) be integrated into the creative process in ethical and innovative ways?

Journalists, tech-futurists, policymakers and scholars all question the risks of generative AI. But in the same moment, there are also examples of artists encouraging uses of generative AI for co-creation with fans/users. This suggests a broader approach towards generative AI beyond technological determinism and one that genuinely seeks to integrate the benefits of this emerging media technology for an improved and informed society. In addition to discussing the ethical use of AI, it is equally important to discuss industry practices in concert with how it has been used, and how creators or users make sense of their experiences with this technology.

Based on these provocations, this panel aims to extend our knowledge of generative AI within the creative space. Beyond the scope of ethics, we incorporate the creative use of generative AI alongside its moral and legal implications. It emphasises the parameters of artificially generated cultural production under this context to highlight how we can incorporate generative AI without prohibiting the creativity of humanity, and how that might generate flourishing ways to spark additional creativity.

Following this line of discussion, potential topics of this panel could include, but not limited to:

  *   AI models - from design to implementation in creative practice
  *   Structuring the Generative AI baseline within creativity
  *   Labour model implications for creatives implementing generative AI
  *   Comparative frameworks to examine the use of generative AI in creative industries
  *   Global perspectives to explore context, risks, and opportunities of generative AI
  *   Emerging monetization models for generative AI creativity
  *   Policy recommendations for those communities and industries surrounding generative AI and cultural production
  *   Moral and ethical implications for generative AI in creativity
  *   Mapping the immediate opportunities and risks presented by using generative AI in cultural production
  *   Disruption of industry: how generative AI is becoming a disruptor of the creative industries, and how to cope with it
  *   Matchpoint for creativity - can creativity solve societal problems in the absence of formal policy frameworks

DR JONATHON HUTCHINSON
Chair of Discipline, Media and Communication
President of Australian and New Zealand Communication Association (ANZCA)
Editor-in-Chief, Policy & Internet Journal [https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/19442866]

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm N233, John Woolley Building (A20) | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9351 2821  | F +61 2 9351 2434
E jonathon.hutchinson at sydney.edu.au<mailto:jonathon.hutchinson at sydney.edu.au>  | W sydney.edu.au<http://sydney.edu.au> | W jonathonhutchinson.com.au<http://www.jonathonhutchinson.com.au/>
CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited.
If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.