[Air-L] TT Asst Prof in Digital Cultures - University of Hawaii at Manoa

Jenifer Sunrise Winter jwinter at hawaii.edu
Wed Oct 11 18:35:48 PDT 2023

Hi All,  Here is the full position description at a glance (also viewable
via this link):  https://go.hawaii.edu/q4y

--

*Assistant Professor of Communication (Digital Cultures)School of
Communication and Information*

Title: Assistant Professor (Digital Cultures)

Position Number: Pending Position Number

Hiring Unit: UHM College of Social Sciences – School of Communication and
Information

Location: Manoa Campus

Date Posted: October 9, 2023

Closing Date: Continuous; applications review begins November 12, 2023, and
continues until the position is filled. Applications received by November
11, 2023 will be
given priority.

Salary Information: Commensurate with qualifications and experience

Monthly Type: 9 Month

Tenure Track: Tenure

Full Time/Part Time: Full Time

Temporary/Permanent: Permanent

Position Description:

The Communication Program in the School of Communication and Information
(SCI),
College of Social Sciences, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa (Honolulu,
Hawai‘i), invites
applicants for the position of Assistant Professor (I-3) in Digital
Cultures. This is a 9-
month, full-time, permanent, tenure track faculty appointment to begin
August 1, 2024,
subject to position clearance and availability of funds.

Communication now frequently occurs in the realm of digital spaces and
virtual
communities, which rely upon various interactive communication
technologies. A
pronounced element of this is called computer-mediated communication (CMC),
an
area already well-established in the Communication Program’s curriculum and
history.
The Communication Program seeks a scholar who will enhance this focus
through
innovative research, quality teaching, and service. Ideal candidates will
apply a
sociotechnical perspective to study and educate on processes of CMC and
cultural
production that occur over social platforms. Areas of interest to our
program include
digital sovereignty, digital economies and labor, online commerce, platform
subcultures,
data governance, global gaming, and emerging media landscapes. The
Communication
Program welcomes diverse empirical methods and theoretical perspectives. The
Communication Program values research that focuses on underrepresented
communities and/or vulnerable populations.

About the Communication Program:

Our department and university have a strong commitment to the recruitment,
retention, and
advancement of diverse applicants. We encourage women and members of
underrepresented
groups to apply. Information about the Communication Program and the School
of
Communication & Information is available:
https://sci.manoa.hawaii.edu/programs/communication/

Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Teach assigned undergraduate and graduate courses, including
Introduction to
Communication, Digital Cultures, and a yearly capstone course;
2. Conduct research and publish scholarly, peer-reviewed research in area of
expertise;
3. Seek extramural funding;
4. Advise and mentor students;
5. Provide service to the Communication Program, School, College,
University, and
relevant professional communities;
6. Actively participate in cross-unit activities for the benefit of the
School of
Communication and Information (SCI);
7. Other duties as assigned by the Program Director and School Chair.

Minimum Qualifications:
1. PhD in Communication or a related field from an accredited college,
university or
foreign equivalent;
2. Evidence of successful teaching and an ability to teach a wide array of
communication courses.
3. Demonstrated research abilities;
4. Evidence of publication in refereed journals;
5. Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collegially with students,
faculty, staff
and/or administration.

Desirable Qualifications:
1. Experience with grant-based research.
2. Demonstrated interest in interdisciplinary projects.
3. Demonstrated ability to work alongside a diverse faculty and honor the
Communication Program’s commitment to further an understanding of Native
Hawaiian and other Oceanic cultures.

To Apply:
Please visit the website:https://go.hawaii.edu/q4y and click on the “Apply”
button on the
top right corner of the screen to complete an application and attach the
following
required documents:
1. Cover letter;
2. Curriculum vitae;
3. Statement of teaching philosophy;
4. Evidence of teaching effectiveness (e.g., course evaluations);
5. Two (2) writing samples, at least one of which you are sole or first
author;
6. Contact information for three references that can speak about your
qualifications
for this position;
7. Official academic transcript(s) (copies of official transcripts are
acceptable;
however, original official transcripts will be required at the time of
hire).

Additionally, please have three professional referees directly send a
letter of reference
to: Brandon Zakahi, School Secretary, at bdz at hawaii.edu. Application
materials will not
be returned. Incomplete applications will not be considered.

Note: If you have not applied for a position before using NeoGov, you will
need to create
an account.

Inquiries:
Search Committee Chair, Jenifer Sunrise Winter
email: jwinter at hawaii.edu

EEO/AA, Clery Act, ADA
The University of Hawai'i is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Institution and is
committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex,
gender identity and
expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship,
disability, genetic
information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child
support, arrest
and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual
orientation, domestic
or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a
covered
veteran. For more information or inquiries regarding these policies, please
refer to the
following link: http://www.hawaii.edu/offices/eeo/eeo-coordinators/.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification
requirements
of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of
previous
employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and
Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the
University of
Hawai'i may be viewed at:
https://www.hawaii.edu/titleix/help/campus-security/, or a
paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus
Security or
Administrative Services Office.

Accommodation Request:
The University of Hawai'i complies with the provisions of the Americans
with Disabilities
Act (ADA). Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of
the
application and hiring process should contact the EEO coordinator directly.

Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a
case-by-
case basis. For further information, please refer to the following link:

https://www.hawaii.edu/offices/eeo/accommodation-request/

Aloha,

Jenifer Sunrise Winter, Ph.D.
Professor of Communication, School of Communication and Information
University of Hawaii at Manoa
2550 Campus Road, Crawford Hall 325, Honolulu, HI 96822
Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Information, Communication and Ethics in Society
Associate Editor, Telecommunications Policy

Jenifer Sunrise Winter, Ph.D.
Professor, School of Communication and Information, University of Hawaii at
Manoa
Editor, Journal of Information, Communication and Ethics in Society
2550 Campus Road, Crawford Hall 325, Honolulu, HI 96822
ph: 808.956.3784