[Air-L] CFP: Handbook of Critical Data Studies

Jasmine McNealy jmcnealy at ufl.edu
Tue Oct 3 08:49:53 PDT 2023

Please consider contributing to our Handbook of Critical Data Studies<https://critical-data-handbook.info/>, to be published by De Gruyter in 2026. This volume will present a comprehensive review of the current state of critical data studies, a field that looks at data as a site of contested meanings and politics. With your help, we aim to bring together a truly global and interdisciplinary set of perspectives from fields including sociology, science and technology studies, information science, human computer interaction, media studies, postcolonial studies, digital humanities, and beyond. The goal is to center the perspectives of critical and marginalized voices, ensuring that issues like race, gender, class and the environment reverberate across the entire handbook.

We invite you to submit a 500-700 word abstract proposal of your chapter by Dec 31, 2023. Possible topics include:

  *   Grounding concepts in critical data studies.

  *   Methodologies: what is ‘critical’ about critical data studies?

  *   Critical political economy of data: theories of extraction, production and prediction.

  *   Case studies: looking at specific sectors, locations and examples from daily life.

  *   A critical approach to laws, policies and regulations concerning data.

  *   How to frame resistance from a critical data studies perspective.

For more details, see https://critical-data-handbook.info/.

To receive updates about this project, please fill out this form.<https://oswego.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_39H86oYiyrr5IsS>