[Air-L] CfP - Common sense for humans and machines. Seminar Dec. 7-8, 2023, Copenhagen

Sille Obelitz Søe sille.obelitz at hum.ku.dk
Mon Oct 2 03:53:03 PDT 2023

Dear all,

Please find below a call for presentations including some information on our first seminar in the project Absence of information in decision-making processes (ABSENCE).

Best wishes,
Sille

Call for Presentations: Common sense for humans and machines. Making decisions in the absence of information

Seminar on December 7-8, 2023 at University of Copenhagen

Artificial intelligence, deep neural networks, and machine learning systems all make use of data, lots of data. But what about the data or information that is not present? The absent? People make everyday decisions, while lacking information about the options and their outcomes. To do that, we engage abductive inference (taking the best guess). This type of thinking is often referred to as common sense and it works for humans. But what about machines? Can we make algorithms use human-level common sense? Should we? At this seminar, we will be discussing what we can learn from human intelligence, rationality and types of decision-making, and how this knowledge can be used in developing algorithmic decision-making. Specifically, we will be focusing on the productive force of absence in decision-making processes.

Keynotes: Associate Prof. Kira Vrist Rønn (University of Southern Denmark) and Prof. Michael P. Lynch (University of Connecticut).

We invite abstracts for presentations, which may address, but are not limited to, the following topics:

·         Notions of absence and related concepts (e.g. silence, invisibility, etc.)

·         Differences between human and machines in decision-making contexts

·         Epistemology of absence-based inference

·         Over-reliance on algorithmic decision-making

·         Absences in automated decision-making

·         Absence as a productive force in decision-making

·         Synthetic data as a solution to absence in algorithmic decision-making

Abstracts of 300 words should be send to Ekaterina Pashevich at kpas at hum.ku.dk<mailto:kpas at hum.ku.dk>

Attendance is free and does not require presentation, but registration is needed. Registration through: https://komm.ku.dk/forskning/information-teknologi-og-relationer/absence/ (opens soon)

Important dates:

·         Deadline for abstracts is October 23, 2023.

·         Notifications of accept/reject is October 30, 2023.

·         Deadline for registration November 10, 2023.

·         Seminar, December 7-8, 2023

The seminar is organized by Ekaterina Pashevich and Sille Obelitz Søe, University of Copenhagen, as part of the project Absence of information in decision-making processes (ABSENCE) funded by Independent Research Fund Denmark (Grant no. 2097-00015B).

Sille Obelitz Søe
Tenure Track Assistant Professor
Philosophy of Information

University of Copenhagen