[Air-L] [cfp] Histories of Computing in Asia (September 2024; draft papers due April 2024)

Chris Leslie chrisleslienyc at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 16 02:19:26 PST 2023

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to call your attention to our next workshop, Histories of Computing in Asia. We will meet concurrently with HCC 16 at the Dusit Thani Laguna in Phuket, Thailand from 8-9 September 2024.

Our goal is to provide a forum for case studies, personal narratives, and theoretical papers with a connection to Asia. IFIP Working Group 9.7 has an inclusive tradition, and we welcome participants from a variety of fields, ranks, approaches, and professions. Papers are welcome from historians, culture critics, museum curators, archivists, educators, STS scholars, computing professionals, and others. The conference language is English, but most of our delegates have another first language, so please don't think that fluency is a barrier.

The papers selected for this conference are eligible to be included in a post-workshop proceedings volume published in Springer's Advances in Information and Computing Technology series (which is indexed by Scopus). Thus, we will follow up with our successful volumes on histories of Nordic, Soviet, and Eastern European computing as well as volumes on pedagogy and public outreach. Our previous regional proceedings volumes are important resources for those who wish to gain a broader understanding of the history of computing, and we know this one will follow in that tradition.

As has been our past practice, the conference committee for IFIP Working Group 9.7 reviews draft papers for consideration in the workshop. We will accept papers of at least 2,500 words from 1 February to 1 April 2024. Authors will circulate their revised drafts in advance of the workshop, and then have a chance for one further round of revision for the proceedings. This creates a collegial and productive discussion at the meeting. For that reason, we encourage on-site participation, but we will attempt to accommodate those who cannot travel. (The conference venue, unfortunately, does not have a built-in teleconference system.)

The first CFP with additional details is available at: https://ifipwg97.org/workshops/hca2024/

Feel free to reach out to me with any questions (or suggestions to improve our CFP), and please forward this message to anyone in your network that might be interested.

Sincerely,

Chris Leslie

PS: Note that IFIP Working Group 9.7 will also organize a track for HCC 16 about the international history of AI, separate from but concurrent with the Histories of Computing in Asia workshop. Authors may submit papers to either or both, but the paper deadlines are different for each.

---
Dr. Christopher Leslie (he/him)

Author of From Hyperspace to Hypertext: Masculinity, Globalization, and Their Discontents (Palgrave 2023): https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-981-99-2027-3
Chair, IFIP Working Group 9.7: History of Technology (https://ifipwg97.org/)