[Air-L] Participate in CrisisFACTS track at TREC-2023

Hemant Purohit hpurohit at gmu.edu
Sun Jul 16 09:44:59 PDT 2023

CFP: CrisisFACTS at TREC-2023 - http://crisisfacts.github.io

You are invited to participate in the second year of the CrisisFACTS crisis summarization and fact extraction track at TREC. This year, we have expanded the track’s event set with ten new crises, for a total of 18 crisis events<https://crisisfacts.github.io/#events>. We invite you to participate by submitting a collection of facts, extracted from data we provide across Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, and news articles, for each day of these crisis events. These facts provide daily summaries of crises, as described in the online information space. Submissions are due 1 September (see “Important Dates” for more information), so you have the summer to participate. See http://crisisfacts.github.io for more information on data access and registering with TREC.

If you’re looking for a way to apply ChatGPT and related LLMs to a novel problem, look no further, as synthesizing daily summaries of crises from multiple social media streams is an important research topic. Methods developed and evaluated in this context could also be used in other spaces, from news summaries to describing disinformation campaigns, public health campaigns, and a variety of other information tasks.

Participants from prior years of CrisisFACTS and its predecessor, TREC-IS, have had good success in getting papers describing their approaches published at the annual Information Systems for Crisis Response And Management<https://iscram.org/> conference.

To facilitate participation, we have provided a baseline implementation on GitHub<https://github.com/crisisfacts/utilities/tree/main/01-Baselines>, so you can get started right away!

Important Dates

Milestone

Date

Guidelines released

Submissions Due

NIST-Assessor Evaluation

5-22 September 2023

Scores returned to participants

TREC Notebook Drafts Due

7 November 2023 (Tentative)

TREC Conference

15-17 November 2023 (Tentative)

--
Hemant Purohit, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Sciences & Technology Department