[Air-L] Free online event - cancel culture

Kim Toffoletti kim.toffoletti at deakin.edu.au
Wed Aug 30 20:15:28 PDT 2023

Hi all,
Just sharing the details of an upcoming panel discussion on 'cancel culture'. This event is part of Australian Social Sciences Week, and will be held online on Tuesday 5 September, 10-11am (Australian Eastern Standard Time). Details below and you can REGISTER HERE<https://www.monash.edu/arts/social-sciences/news-and-events/events/events/social-sciences-week-2023-taking-a-closer-look-at-cancel-culture> (with apologies for cross-posting).

Social Sciences Week 2023 - Cancelled?: Taking a Closer Look at 'Cancel Culture'
Date: Tuesday 5 September 2023 | Time: 10-11am | Venue: Online

Hosted by Monash University and Deakin University, the event is free and open to all.  This session will bring together scholars and activists working at the intersections of digital media practices, social justice issues and political activism to consider the phenomenon of 'cancel culture' and the constraints, problems and benefits it generates for digital subjects and scholars.

Panellists
*       Professor Gwen Bouvier<https://corpus.shisu.edu.cn/corpusen/69/d5/c12943a158165/page.psp> (Shanghai International Studies University, China)
*       Dr Jin Lee<https://staffportal.curtin.edu.au/staff/profile/view/jin-lee-6c6d1376/> (Curtin University (WA), Australia)
*       Associate Professor Eve Ng<https://www.ohio.edu/scripps-college/media-arts-studies/nge> (Ohio University, USA)
*       Associate Professor Brady Robards<https://research.monash.edu/en/persons/brady-robards> (Monash University (VIC), Australia)

Moderators
*       Dr Claire Tanner<https://research.monash.edu/en/persons/claire-tanner> (Monash University)
*       A/Prof Kim Toffoletti<https://www.deakin.edu.au/about-deakin/people/kim-toffoletti> (Deakin University)

REGISTER HERE<https://www.monash.edu/arts/social-sciences/news-and-events/events/events/social-sciences-week-2023-taking-a-closer-look-at-cancel-culture>

Associate Professor Kim Toffoletti
Sociology I School of Humanities and Social Sciences | Faculty of Arts & Education |Deakin University | 221 Burwood Highway, Burwood VIC 3125 Australia
t: +61 (0) 3 924 43986 | e: kim.toffoletti at deakin.edu.au<mailto:kim.toffoletti at deakin.edu.au> |w: http://www.deakin.edu.au/about-deakin/people/kim-toffoletti I Follow @ktoffa
Please note that I do not work on Friday.

Recent publications: A feminist embodied ethics of social media use: Corporeal vulnerability and relational care practices<https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/14614448231171560>. New Media and Society (open access).
Rethinking Women's "Performance and Image-Enhancing Drug Consumption": An Agenda for Ontopolitically-Oriented Research<https://doi.org/10.1177/00914509231154938>. Contemporary Drug Problems, early online (open access).
Understanding Australian adolecent girls' use of digital technologies for healthy lifestyle purposes. BMC Public Health (open access).

Series Editor New Femininities in Digital, Physical and Sporting Cultures. Welcoming proposals: http://www.springer.com/series/15874

I acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land on which I work, the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin nations, and pay my respects to Elders, past and present.

Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code 00113B
Important Notice: The contents of this email are intended solely for the named addressee and are confidential; any unauthorised use, reproduction or storage of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please delete it and any attachments immediately and advise the sender by return email or telephone. Deakin University does not warrant that this email and any attachments are error or virus free.