[Air-L] Can Artificial Intelligence Help Counter Hate? Decoloniality and Online Extreme Speech - Lecture with Sahana Udupa

Carol Parreiras carolparreiras at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 04:59:27 PDT 2023

Hello list members,

Tomorrow, August 15, we will have the lecture "Can Artificial Intelligence
Help Counter Hate? Decoloniality and Online Extreme Speech", with Sahana
Udupa. The lecture will take place at University of São Paulo - Brazil, at
4 PM (UTC - 3). For those who are not in Brazil, we will have a live
streaming.
Online transmission: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd7OcwxGuNQ
Can Artificial Intelligence Help Counter Hate? Decoloniality and Online
Extreme Speech

Is the global upsurge in online vitriol aimed against vulnerable people a
result of social media affordances and the actions of villainous populists?
Departing from a technocentric perspective and leader centered analysis,
this talk will present the theory of “extreme speech”, highlighting the
grave consequences of the “ordinariness” of hate in contemporary digital
environments and their deep roots in the enduring structures of
coloniality. I will argue that historically reinforced patterns of extreme
speech and the varieties of digital practice that animate hate actors pose
significant challenges to the optimism around AI-based content moderation
efforts. The talk will draw from the chapter “Extreme” in the just
published book, “Digital Unsettling: Decoloniality and Dispossession in the
Age of Social Media” (co-authored with Ethiraj Gabriel Dattatreyan, New
York University Press, 2023) and the article, “Ethical Scaling for Content
Moderation